CAST and Blast..

reddog

This trip started out as kind of short notice, when a great friend of mine (Brian) called and said he was driving a race hauler back from Pennsylvania to Minnesota and had a few extra days to spend. I looked at the weather forecast, and it was going to be very nice till the later part of his stay, and we could do a combo trip, fishing and hunting, or whatever he wanted to do.. Our trip started out Wednesday night, when we (my wife and I ) picked him up in Windom Mn. We headed south to Lakefield Mn, and enjoyed a few brews and a pizza at The Shed. We spent the night at my place in Spirit Lake Ia, as I had a few business deals to tidy up before I could go. We headed west around noon on Thursday , and stopped at our new shop/home in Garretson on the way by, then proceeded to our favorite pub in SD, The 212 Boiling Point Bar and Grille, where we enjoyed wings for lunch and proceeded at a leisurely pace.. We got a call from a friend that wanted us to open up his place at Plankinton on the way by, as he had a couple deer hunters coming in the next afternoon, and he didnt think he could be there in time. we got to the lodge about 5ish, and opened it up and busted our way in. It was apparent that some snow needed to be moved, so we opened up the shop, and spent an hour moving snow, while it was still soft, in front of the impending cold front coming in.. and then proceeded west again. We stopped at Dittys in Kimball for a quick bite to eat and then headed to the cabin.

We arrived at the cabin in Chamberlain, much overjoyed that there wasnt much snow in the driveway, and we drove right in.. We spent the night, making a plan for Friday. The plan was to go fishing first, and then decide whether to activate our licenses for pheasants.. We got on the water about 10:15, and found fish right away. We had 6 fish in the livewell, in the first 10 minutes before we lost that school. Left them, and found a new school a few yards downstream. With our limit secure, we continued to fish since it was so nice.. At noon. I suggested that if we were going to hunt, we had to make a move, as it would take about 1 1/2 - 2 hours to load the boat, drive back to the cabin, activate our licenses and re-gear up. at 1230, we loaded the boat and headed back to the cabin after a very successful morning of fishing.. Fast forward to right at 3:30 and it found us at our first place to hunt.. It was a beautiful afternoon, but we didnt have much time. We walked a abandoned acreage, and shot 3. and got our final bird walking ditches for a total of 4 for the day.. With a 40 minute drive back to the cabin, we had quite a bit of cleaning to get done.

We arrived at the cabin to find my cabin partner had arrived and already had our fish cleaned for us. It was very much appreciated, but did prevent a picture of our Cast and Blast day. Ribeye steaks, Raw fried potatoes and cream style corn was on the menu for this night, and a few adult beverages..

Saturday morning, found basically the same MO, but this day there would be 4 in the boat, Myself, my wife, Brian, and my cabin partner. Fishing was again incredibly good, and we stayed on the water until about 12:30 again, with over a hundred walleyes in the boat. It was getting hard and harder to leave the fish, but we had the licenses, so we changed gears again.. Brian and I went our way, Donny went his way. We shot 3 birds with limited time and headed back. Supper tonight was going to be a smorgasbord menu of fresh ocean scallops, and even fresher walleye fillets..

The forecast for Sunday was the best yet, in front of the impending cold front, and we decided to forego any hunting and simply fish.. Between the fish we ate, we needed 6 walleyes for our possession limit, which was quickly accomplished under beautiful fishing conditions. About 11 Donny decided he wated to go exploring some new areas to hunt up north, so we took him back to his truck about 11:30 and Brian and I went back out . About 1:50, Donny called and was back at the boat ramp. No pheasants, heavy fog up north, and trucks in every spot. With deer season still going on, going out in the fog seemed like possibly more of a death wish with hunters already in the field, so he opted to come back. We fished again, and loaded the boat about 2:50 with the approaching cold front bringing in the wind. I have no idea how many walleyes we caught, but it was a large number between the 3 of us. (wifey took the day off fort the couch at the cabin and Minnesota Vikings on TV) Brian and I headed back to the cabin, Donny said he and Belle (his Black Lab) was going to check out Brule Bottoms at Chamberlain for birds. I told him he was nuts. There isnt a piece of state ground in the state that gets hunted more than Brule Bottoms. It literally gets pounded day in day out. Brian and I cleaned fish (2 nice perch and a bonus Northern Pike in addition to our 6 eyes) Donny showed up at sunset with 3 roosters. If you shoot a pheasant in Brule bottoms walking with a dog this time of year, you definitely earn it, as you are hunting the most wily of the birds in the state!

Monday we basically took the day off and headed back. We stopped on Luverne Mn and we watched our granddaughter at skating practice to top off our trip! Stayed in Garretson at the shop, and Brian flew back to Pa yesterday, with a backpack full of 7 birds and his possession limit or walleyes Now, its back to work for me today.. Ill get a few pictures posted when I get some more time to upload them

Last edited:
thanks for sharing Reddog-great story!! Congrats -You gotta love it when a cast and blast comes together like this!

We enjoy doing the same here in Texas -I'll pull my flats boat to the gulf coast, catch all we can catch. Then drop the boat off at the house and head to the rolling plains to shoot limits of dove.
I'd be up for a "swap cast and blast" if you're ever interested... :thumbsup:

Nice read Reddog, you definitely hit that weather right for the fish. Way to go, sounds like you got life by the shorthairs with that company and setup man.

20191206_092430.jpg
The cabin and the Skeeter.

The view from the cabin over Chamberlain:
20191207_080022.jpg

20191208_084453.jpg

20191208_105342.jpg

20191123_1200151.jpg

20191124_1430431.jpg

DSCN0073.JPG

Im afraid that may have been the last boat trip for 2019, but Ill keep an eye on the weather for sure..

Leaving again on Friday. I've got a Muzzleloader deer license that I'm going to try to fill. I doubt there will be any fishable ice yet. :)

Last edited:
Geez, Reddog. Easy on the wildlife! Don't you feel at least a little bad for being so gluttonous? ;)

Yeah, I wouldn't either. Those days are easily balanced out by the other kind. Thanks for sharing. Fun to read. Glad you found some time to unwind.

We barely bothered the pheasants, and were the only boat on the water on Sunday. That the beauty of fishing. You can release them.. :)

I have read this post a couple of times now. I am envious of that kind of trip! Not enough daylight hours this time of year to get everything in.

You are so very correct Joel. Bird hunting, ice fishing, boat fishing, muzzle loader licence, ugh it's tough duty.
:).

I opted for fishing this weekend because of the forecast.View attachment 9635

Ice fished friday morning pretty much unsuccfully. Went back to cabin and grabbed the boat. Got to the ramp and couldn't get the skeeter off. Ugh. In the process, tripped over the hitch and took a dive. Pulled it out , went back to the cabin and traded boats to my buddies Crestliner with a roller trailer and a extra long tongue. It was the principle of the matter now. Got back on the water (in dry clothes) about 3:36. Looked for fish for 40 minutes before making a cast. First cast at 4:15 or so. Loaded the boat at 5 with a great limit. Only caught 5, but released a 25". View attachment 9636View attachment 9637 I stink at selfies. 160 miles back and forth from the cabin to the ramp. Had to campaign a little with the wife to let me go back the third time after the dunking. View attachment 9638View attachment 9639

By the time I got back yesterday with the crestliner, the corps had cleared the ramp. I decided to take the skeeter again on Saturday and invited a friend and his son from sioux falls to join me. They had to finish shopping in the morning and we agreed to meet at the cabin at 1. Got to the ramp about 130. Unloading went uneventfully. Fished hard till 430. Had lots of fish in the Hummindird, but getting them to bite was a chore. Ended up with 8. Cleaning them, I could understand why the bite was slow. They were packed full of 3 inch shad. Why they even bit was beyond me. View attachment 9640View attachment 9641 Got back to cabin and unhooking the boat and figured out a rooster that was flying beside my truck on the way home. Seen him take a hard right in my drivers side mirror. Got in the garage and found out that he didnt clear the boat windshield. Ugh. View attachment 9642 took out the center section. All in all great trip. Headed back this morning to my grand daughter Christmas program at church.

This winter time fishing isnt for everyone. Many times I have been turned around at the ramp because of silt and ice and snow or a combination of all 3. When it works out, it's pretty special. When it doesnt, you e always got to have a plan B,C or even D. I love this state and hopefully will be a full time resident soon.

Back