Care to help me score this buck?!

goldenboy

Last night I went out to feed the deer I have hanging around the house. I had just taken the dogs for a run with the four wheeler and we had just gotten a fresh batch of snow. I saw a few small does while running the dogs but couldn't believe it when I saw this guy in the back yard! I live on 80 acres in the metro area and we shot 5 bucks off of our property with the nicest one probably around 130" of antler. Never saw this guy all season, but I am sure excited for next year! What do you think he will score right now, and do you agree with my buddies that he still looks young?

I agree he looks young and next year should really be impressive! 140ish. Spread credit is not great. Be cool if you find his sheds and can put a tape to him!:thumbsup:

I think PTM is right. Yes he is young, just by his head size, face, lack of brisket and belly. Nice 3 year old. 2 years would be even better. But hard to pass on next year. If he walked by me next year it would likely cost me 500 bucks.

He is 150's for sure. Nice deer. At that age with a rack like that, he has great genetics. Should have bred some does too. I would not shoot any baskets in that area for several years LOL. There will be sons coming.:thumbsup:

Looks like he might gross close to 140. Nice young deer. Probably 3.5. For a deer to mature, they need to reach at least 5.5 years of age. Let him go for a couple of more seasons.

I would love to let him go for two more years because he could be a giant by then. My only trouble is that I live in the metro area with only 88 private acres of my own to hunt. Many people hunt around my property so the odds of him living two more years with hunting seasons and vehicles is very slim. We let a lot of smaller basket racks walk every year and still we shoot some nice bucks on our relatively small acreage. But if he walks by me next year with a potential 170" rack, I don't know if I can pass him up! Am I weak? Am I shortsighted? Am I crazy? I don't know, but for now it is fun to watch him out the dining room window staying healthy and keeping an eye on the does in the area!

easily 80 inches of tine, 12 scoreable points, 19 inch spread maybe only 18, 23-24 inch main beams, easily in the 160's gross those extra 2 points add a lot of gross (big enough to shoot!) nice deer

View attachment 7922
Well guys we killed him! On the day I predicted we would shoot him. Unfortunately I didn't shoot him but my brother did. His gross score is 196.25! He will have deductions but he was a huge deer and was killed quickly and efficiently. Biggest deer I have ever seen at my place and I never laid eyes on him when he was alive only through pictures! I probably have 1,000 pics of this giant. We called him Homeboy because he lived on my small 88 acre plot of land.

That is a tremendous buck for sure. Congrats to your brother. Would love to see additional pics if you don’t mind sharing. Thanks

Yes, he was only 18" wide but even if he was 20" or 21" that would only give him 2-3 more inches in overall score. Yes he was a giant and fun to see that we can grow them like that on my property. Right now all I am seeing is small basket racks around so who knows what next year will bring.

By the way, we figure he was only 4 1/2 years old! What would he have been like in another year or two? Also when we processed him my brother found as old broadhead stuck into the backstrap next to his spine! Fully healed over and probably from two years ago!

Back