Car Sick

Recon

So I just want to know is car sickness something a dog can grow out of. Chief my 5mo old gets sick every car ride no matter how short it is. I try and take him everywhere with me when possible but cleaning up after him after every trip is getting a little old. :( any advice.....

I don't know if they grow out of it or not. Some do and some don't. On long trip trips I would give my young dogs Dramamine Tablet,. The breeder said when he brought Gunne to me, he had given him Milk of Magnesia. I have also heard Pepto Bismol works too.......Bob

I believe they do; are you carrying him in a dog crate or box...or is he just along for the ride? The reason I ask is this; I had one that got sick as well (in the truck). I started putting him in a crate to travel. He got sick a few more times but it was much easier to clean. He has since grown out of it.

Well we started out just riding which was a bad idea so now he only rides in his kennel. My German Shepherd was the same way and eventually grew out of it so I hope Chief does as well. Shoot maybe it's my driving :)

My vizsla would get sick unless I pit him in a kennel where he couldn't see anything. He did wind up growing out of it but it sure was a pita trying to go hunting.

i know that when i have dogs in the cab or box i tend to drive a little slower and not do as much passing and taking curves faster than i should, something to think about.

When I was growing up my grandfather had a lab that always got car sick. Could not even go more than 20 minutes before he ralphed. He didn't have a pickup, so the dog had to ride in the back seat of his car, which made it all the more pleasant:eek:

Finally, he decided to leave the dog out at his brothers farm where we did a lot of our Phez hunting back then and on occasion when we need to travel with the dog,we just had to clean up after him. He never did out grow it though and I have not seen another dog get sick like that since.

My sister had a German Shorthair that as a pup would get sick everytime she rode in a car. Then when she was around a year old she quit getting sick so it is possible.

One of ours is 7 now and she still gets car sick, but she knows to leave her meal on a floor mat, if possible. We've learned to time her meals if we will be traveling with her and she does okay.

She'll normally clean it up herself.

Last edited:
Mine use to get sick riding in a car too, until I found out it was only when he was riding. He had no problem if he was driving. So, I let him drive. We did well until a cat ran across the road. Took out 3 mail boxes, a fence and two flower gardens before I got the car stopped..:thumbsup::laugh:

Maybe I will give Chief a shot behind the wheel :)

Recon, no matter how old my GSP was, he puked... motion sickness was something of him he didnt like. even my wife went 7 block drive and back, puked no matter what. even puked when riding on the ATV.

again i dont know if he would grow out of it. however, my cat, when he goes for a ride, if i DONT feed him in the morning and goes, he does fine, if he does eat, then he pukes.

i would try to do what was suggested on the first page of trying to find something he can take that would help. dont give him two things at once to see what works. try pespmo bismo and see, if not, go to a vet and see what they can give you to help.

eventually, he should grow out of it.. i would assume they do.

Mine use to get sick riding in a car too, until I found out it was only when he was riding. He had no problem if he was driving. So, I let him drive. We did well until a cat ran across the road. Took out 3 mail boxes, a fence and two flower gardens before I got the car stopped..:thumbsup::laugh:

what was that commerical of dogs driving a car and says DOGS APPROVE!

i can see that happening.

Hello all I am headed to KS for mothers day this weekend and will be taking Chief with me any traveling tips as well as any ideas as to how to make this trip as painless as possible for the pup. Like I mentioned earlier on this thread he ALWAYS gets car sick even on a short trip so I am a little concerned about a 7 hr trip. Can he die from throwing up I know it sounds crazy but I couldn't live with myself if something happened to him and I could have been prevented it. Thanks Rich

Back