Buy a LIC!!!!

Good article and one I agree with.

It would be nice if there were signs at state/federal parks to inform the public of where the funds come from when they are used from hunter dollars.

Or even something catchy like a "thank a hunter" type campaign. This would possibly bring the public to a better understanding as to how important hunting is to our public lands/conservation.

"Enjoy you time in nature? Thank a hunter!"

Nick

Great read and oh so very true. Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

And buy your duck stamps, even if you never use them. Thanks for sharing the article Wessl.:thumbsup:

I see it here on the wildlife area and state fishing lake all the time. They use our toilets, camp sites, roads, cabins, etc and don't buy a hunting, fishing, or fur-harvesting license. They pick our plums, morels, and ornamental flora and pay not a cent. With each $20 license they would purchase, the budget would receive $80 or more. In that the matrix that determines what the state receives is partly based on population, area, AND license sales; it is important that we increase the portion that we have some control of. Folks complain about the cost of the license at $20 for 365 days of recreation, but they'll spend nearly $100 to take their family of 4 to the movies for a 3 hour tour! We need to get our priorities right!!!

I see it here on the wildlife area and state fishing lake all the time. They use our toilets, camp sites, roads, cabins, etc and don't buy a hunting, fishing, or fur-harvesting license. They pick our plums, morels, and ornamental flora and pay not a cent. With each $20 license they would purchase, the budget would receive $80 or more. In that the matrix that determines what the state receives is partly based on population, area, AND license sales; it is important that we increase the portion that we have some control of. Folks complain about the cost of the license at $20 for 365 days of recreation, but they'll spend nearly $100 to take their family of 4 to the movies for a 3 hour tour! We need to get our priorities right!!!
The down side is they well have a bigger and bigger say in the management of wildlife and hunting regs. :eek:

The parameters are still set by the USFWS. Not that they're not being taken over from the inside by non-hunting interests.

In Colorado they have commercials on TV explaining where the funding comes from for many of our parks. The commercial tells people to hug a Hunter or Fisherman if they are happy for open space. I think the adds are great and spread awareness to where the funding comes from.

We put up signs on all our properties! The thing about signs is that all too few people read them!!! I've always enjoyed the speech that my recently retired judge quoted every time I went to court with him. He would lecture the ticketed party saying: "when you enter a property that you don't own, it is your responsibility to read, understand, and follow the laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to that property". Far too many folks come to a property that is known to be "public" and think that anything goes! When they are signing the ticket, I usually explain that the area that they are abusing is open for hunting, fishing, and fur-harvesting. Those are the only primary uses. All other activities are regulated with many being prohibited. If we won't protect our own, who will???

In Colorado they have commercials on TV explaining where the funding comes from for many of our parks. The commercial tells people to hug a Hunter or Fisherman if they are happy for open space. I think the adds are great and spread awareness to where the funding comes from.
In Idaho ALL!!!! funding comes from Lic/PR act and or Idaho Dept F&G is broke I belive the Biologists that run it want general funding as its more in line with their beliefs . :mad:

The down side is they well have a bigger and bigger say in the management of wildlife and hunting regs. :eek:

This is the reason I've heard for not requiring fees, licenses and excise taxes for more things. Right now it's pretty much funded by consumptive uses. Non consumptive users groups want to pay taxes and have expensive fees so they can have the bigger say that wesslpointer talks about. Smile, pay the tax or fee and realize you and wildlife managers could have it much worse.:cheers:

Smile, pay the tax or fee and realize you and wildlife managers could have it much worse.:cheers:

That's a good point. We have an example of such here in McHenry C. We have a county conservation district that get's most of it's funding from the general public (property taxes).

Their habitat improvements are awesome--grassland management has been unbelievable, but their rules/laws are very strict on "their" lands. Land's which add up to 10's of thousands of acres within the county. They've opened some properties up for limited hunting through a permit process which is good, but at the same time, they've purchased thousands of aces over the years that many folks used to hunt. Now they're posted with "NO TRESSPASING" SIGNS. Can't even work/walk a dog or hike on them let alone hunt them.:(

About a month ago a client was telling me few teenager were off-trail shed hunting on one of the county conservation properties a year or so ago. They got caught walking off the marked trail and got bused for it.:eek:

If that's what funding from the general public brings about, yeah, I suppose we'd have more freedoms and outdoor opportunities through staying the course we're on---that is, hunters, fisherman, trappers, and PR act taking the blunt of the financial burden.

Nick

Back