Browning BSS or SKB SXS

Dakotazeb

Ever since I sold my 20 ga. Browning BSS some 30+ years ago I've kicked myself and always wanted another one. I keep watching the internet sites but just have never pulled the trigger on one. I've been looking again lately and it appears the prices on a BSS have actually come down a little. Still going to be in the $1,500 range for a decent one with 26" tubes and choked IC/Mod. I would probably use this gun mainly for my NSTRA field trials. But now I've run across a SKB Model 400 with 25" tubes choked Skeet/Skeet. It has a silver engraved receiver and is a sweet looking gun. Might be able to get for less than the BSS. Any thoughts?

To help finance the purchase of one of these guns I need to sell a couple of rifles I don't use any more. Here's what I have. Anyone interested? I'll have to figure out a price on them.

Winchester Model 70 Classic SM (Synthetic stock with Matte finish) in .338 Winchester Mag.
Leupold 3x9 Vari-X Scope mounted with Leupold dove-tail mounts and rings.
Rifle has a removable Slim-line Muzzle Break made by High Tech Customs in Colorado Springs. When you remove the break there is a cap that screws on over the threads.

Winchester Model 70A (Blind magazine) in .222 Rem.
Leupold Fixed 6X scope with Leupold mounts and rings.

Both rifles are in excellent condition and never been used very much. If you have any interest send me a PM with your cell number or email address and I'll get you some pics and some prices.

I'm a big fan of SKB shotguns, the Japanese made guns anyway. For shooting, I'd pick one over the Browning all day long. They're very durable and they fit me better. For resale I'd get the Browning but I wouldn't use it.

I've had a couple of the SKB guns ( 12 & 20) and have mixed thoughts. I like the fit, finish, weight and reliability of the SKB, but my 20 ga. with 28 " barrels shot the left barrel some 8 inches right and 2" low of POA ( at 16 yds !) so I sold that one.

I own a SKB 200E 20 gauge, 25", choked skeet and skeet. Although I have not used it for awhile, there was about a 10 years stretch when I used it extensively on IA pheasants and quail. Using Federal one ounce loads of 7 1/2 hard lead @ 1,220 fps, it killed everything within 30 yards I pointed it at.

Very nimble gun and hard to beat for close work.

I didn't pull the trigger on either the BSS or SKB. The ones I was looking at sold for more than I was willing to pay. Have decided to stay with my 16's.

Last edited:
I too traded off a BSS some 30+ years ago and regret it too. Used ones and much higher than I paid years ago.

Yeah, bought a used (like new) 20 ga. BSS in 1975 or 1976 for about $280 if I remember right. Sold it about 9-10 years later for $300. Regretted it ever sense. :mad:

Keep your eyes open for the Miroku labeled SxS's. They are the exact same gun as the BSS except they have a semi- splinter forend and they usually sell for less. I bought a real nice one on Gunbroker a few years ago for $750. I did not keep it as the weight had been misrepresented by a pound. But other than that it was obviously a lot of fun for the money.

I have a 12 and 20 in bss and a 12 skb model 280 and 200e in a 20.
The SKB's are from before the factory closed.They both came with beaver tail forends.I sent them back to the factory and had the forends replaced with splinters.
The bss is a much more robust gun.My sporter 12 is 7 3/4 lbs My skb 12 is 6 3/4
My 200e 20 weighs 6 lbs 2 oz 25" barrels.My bss pistol gripped 20 weighs with 26" barrels 7 lbs 1 oz.
I use them all but the bss 20 due to its weight not so much.After all these years I made an executive decision.
I can keep the bss 20 just the way it is to not deter its value,OR ,I can send it off as a project gun and have it turned into a sporter complete with splinter and English stock.
It came back looking like a million bucks and it lost just over a quarter lb in the process.
I shot it well before and the surgery hasn't changed a thing.It is fast becoming my favourite upland gun.Light enough to carry all day while still be robust enough to handle 3" magnums if I feel the need arises.

Last edited:
Back