Browning A-5 question

Duckdog17

Hey guys,
I'm looking at a 16g Browning Auto-5 that a buddy of mine's, neighbor is selling.
I've checked all the obvious sources, but I don't have the S&V book to look up the serial number.
And, naturally...all of the obvious sources have really contradicting information.

So, if anyone has the S&V book, and they wouldn't mind looking up a number for me...I'd sure appreciate it.

The number is just forward of the loading port on the underside of the receiver.
I think that's an "A" stamped above the serial number.
The serial number is 1180##.

80F9DA59-610F-41F6-A5DF-5D2546009414-12900-00001F8FB8EA8AAC_zps1baf6b1e.jpg

While you're looking... ;)
How about looking at a 12g date for me. I'm pretty sure this one is a 1958.
4272##.
Thanks!

Yea... I'm trying there, but someone needs to get off their butt and approve my posts there! ;)
I registered there a couple days ago but my post hasn't been "approved" yet. And, I can't find any way to contact an admin or mod.
Thanks though!

From the information I have I believe your 16 ga. was manufactured in 1938. In that era of A5 16 ga. guns the receivers did not have "Sweet Sixteen" engraved in them nor was there and differentiation by serial number between the standard 16 and the Sweet Sixteen. But the Sweets had 3 holes in the barrel ring and a gold trigger. If your gun does not have the 3 holes and gold trigger it is a standard 16. I also think your gun is chambered for 2 9/16" shells. They didn't make the 2 3/4" chamber until 1948. The same year they started to engrave "Sweet Sixteen" on the receiver.

As for the 12 ga. It was manufactured in 1953, not 1958. Serial numbers in 1958 had a "G" preceding the serial number.

Yep...you're right (I think) on the '53. I got that info off the Browning site but apparently wrote '58.
As far as the 16ga goes...
I've read that same time line you linked there, and I'm not totally convinced. The "A" above the number really throws me off.
Look at the "1953-1954" section. He lists an "A" above the number, but my number is too big.
Also, it IS a 65mm (2 9/16) chamber. It looks to have been converted though.
Just from the pics that I have, it looks like the ejection port was lengthened, but I don't think the other mods were made. Like, moving the barrel forward, etc.

If this old A-5 is truly a '30's model...it's in great shape!

Yep...you're right (I think) on the '53. I got that info off the Browning site but apparently wrote '58.
As far as the 16ga goes...
I've read that same time line you linked there, and I'm not totally convinced. The "A" above the number really throws me off.
Look at the "1953-1954" section. He lists an "A" above the number, but my number is too big.
Also, it IS a 65mm (2 9/16) chamber. It looks to have been converted though.
Just from the pics that I have, it looks like the ejection port was lengthened, but I don't think the other mods were made. Like, moving the barrel forward, etc.

If this old A-5 is truly a '30's model...it's in great shape!

Great guns love the A-5s. :thumbsup: Did you pull the trigger and pick it up??? If so what were they asking for it??? If you don't mind me asking. Some of those old a-5,s go for some serious amounts. Great post by the way.:)

I haven't handled it yet. But, from the pictures I'm getting, it looks to be in really good condition. But, that could also mean it's been refinished. Hard to tell from just a few pics. But honestly, my initial thoughts are that it hasn't been refinished.

You'll love the A5 -16. I'm refurbishing my 1941 vintage 12 ga with composite stocks. Should make this heavy beast a bit lighter to carry. This gun shots well, except for the slight bend in the barrel.

I have a world war 2 era U.S. built A 5 16ga marked 23/4" chamber on the barrel. It's the Org barrel also. 1938 has to be around the time of change over from 29/16" chamber to 23/4". I believe if it is not marked 23/4" it is a 29/16 chamber. All 23/4" guns should be marked so. Winchester changed chambering's in the mid to late 30's on model 12's and 1897's.

I have a world war 2 era U.S. built A 5 16ga marked 23/4" chamber on the barrel. It's the Org barrel also. 1938 has to be around the time of change over from 29/16" chamber to 23/4". I believe if it is not marked 23/4" it is a 29/16 chamber. All 23/4" guns should be marked so. Winchester changed chambering's in the mid to late 30's on model 12's and 1897's.

OP, the info I have is that 1948 was the first year for the 2 3/4" chamber.

Early Production Auto-5 shotguns chambered in 2 9/16" were produced from 1903-1939 and should be inspected by gunsmith prior to firing.

1948 would be way late. 1954 was the first speed feed. All 23/4" guns are marked as such.

Early Production Auto-5 shotguns chambered in 2 9/16" were produced from 1903-1939 and should be inspected by gunsmith prior to firing.

1948 would be way late. 1954 was the first speed feed. All 23/4" guns are marked as such.

You are probably right. The rechecked the info I had it says, " 1947 was the first year of standard production of the 2 ? inch chambered 16 gauge." I think the key here is "standard production". So prior to 1947 did they make some 16's in both 2 9/16" and 2 3/4"????? I'll keep looking for more info.

I am quite sure that 1948 was the first year that they engraved "Sweet Sixteen" in the receiver.

Duckdog,

There are several of us that on shotgun world as well. I have seen that post on there. But thank you for sharing it with other member on here that may not know on that sight. I know George is on that sight, and many others view it too.

Yep...figured as much, but wanted to keep anyone that helped here in the loop.
I've always just read there, but had to give up my "lurker" title to get some info. ;)

Back