Bringing Home a New PUP

HS Strut

So I have an 8yr old female Lab, a little Shi Tzu and I'm bring home a new Lab puppy next weekend. Anybody have any advise or suggestions on introducing the new pup to the keepers of the home? They all live inside. I know dogs can be territorial....wondering if any of you have a common practice when introducing and getting them acclimated?

I just brought a new male gsp puppy to home with a 5 yr old male terrier and a 6 yr old male gsp. All live in the house. I have had good luck introducing the puppy to the older dogs at a neutral location. We have a Small park a few blocks from the house and do first meeting there. I usually do the in home introduction one dog at a time. And you have to be the pack leader if someone gets out of hand. Usually doesn’t take long for all to get along. But I keep a watchful eye on the puppy at first, because they haven’t learned the boundaries of personal space. Hope that helps.

I have never had a problem introducing the new 8-week-old puppy to the current residents. I have had three Brittanys in the house 3 times now. Puppy meets the current two ... in the first room off the garage. No food, toys, or rawhides. No leashes. I find a leashed dog is the most "defensive" or nervous when around unfamiliar dogs.

My daughter adopted a really nice dog a couple weeks ago. I puppy sat it twice. Last Sunday they came over. In that case because he was 5-6 months old and a bit cautious and we did one dog at a time. We started with my 8-month-old pup. Went well they played. Next was my 14-year-old female Brittany ... went fine ... he let her know she does not play rough. Last was my 8-year-old male Brit and current alpha of the dogs ... He did fine too. Within an hour the 4th seemed like he was never not here. We will be watching him this summer when they are on vacation.

I have never had a problem introducing the new 8-week-old puppy to the current residents. I have had three Brittanys in the house 3 times now. Puppy meets the current two ... in the first room off the garage. No food, toys, or rawhides. No leashes. I find a leashed dog is the most "defensive" or nervous when around unfamiliar dogs.

My daughter adopted a really nice dog a couple weeks ago. I puppy sat it twice. Last Sunday they came over. In that case because he was 5-6 months old and a bit cautious and we did one dog at a time. We started with my 8-month-old pup. Went well they played. Next was my 14-year-old female Brittany ... went fine ... he let her know she does not play rough. Last was my 8-year-old male Brit and current alpha of the dogs ... He did fine too. Within an hour the 4th seemed like he was never not here. We will be watching him this summer when they are on vacation.
Yup 100 percent on the leash thing.

Back