Birds??

chad.vis

Looking for some training birds. If anyone in the Sioux Falls area knows where I can get a hold of a dozen ducks and chuckar or pheasants Id be graterful.

For ducks, try contacting a local retriever club.
The Dakota Hunting Retriever Club has hunt tests this weekend.

Our club pays $35 for frozen ducks up here in Alaska,
while my training group in Montana it is $25 for per live flyer.

For retrievers, ducks can be used many times.
We have a bird rack in the field and birds are then
wrapped in newspaper and frozen for the next training session.
They are partially frozen when we train with them with experienced retrievers.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did find ducks but no chuckar/pheasants. I do have my own pigeons but like to throw some chuckars in the mix as that is what they use in the test.

Looking for some training birds. If anyone in the Sioux Falls area knows where I can get a hold of a dozen ducks and chuckar or pheasants Id be graterful.
Hello Chad, I am also in the Sioux Falls area looking for any type of bird to train my Brittany puppy with. Please let me know where you got yours from. Thank you

Hello Chad, I am also in the Sioux Falls area looking for any type of bird to train my Brittany puppy with. Please let me know where you got yours from. Thank you
I never did end up finding any chuckar or pheasants. If you atr interested in ducks let me know, I think I know of where to find some of those.

Unfortunately I had a hard time finding them myself. No one selling them for a few hundred miles. So I purchased 50 new chicks, found an old chicken coop (20x16 ft) that a friend wasn’t using at his house and fed them until big enough to train with. Built a “Johnny house” and moved 10 at a time into it in a large grassy meadow. Didn’t shoot them until my lab was pointing, and about 75% would recall back as long as about 5 or 6 were left in the Johnny house. Eventually they would stop recalling but worked for quite awhile. A few of the others stuck around outside the hutch to chase around and the rest must of got eaten. Eventually i started shooting them as the dog got the hang of things, although far from 100%ready. Have about 10 left which will be released soon, about 12 made it to “civilization” running around friends barns/ houses etc. I know it’s too late for this year, but I’m going to do the same every year to keep her Gaga over birds in off season.

Back