Bird Report

SDJIM

Just talked to a friend in the Platte area who helps with the fall harvest. Man I wish I had better news. He is working the area SE of Platte towards Lake Andes and Quote " Jim were just not seeing any birds", of course I replied "NOT ANY" and he said well a few but its way down from last year.

I guess we will just have to see--Oh he also said " of course we have not done any CORN yet.":confused:

Tonight I spoke with a farmer from Platte area. He and his brother have been harvesting beans, seeing a few but numbers are down. They hope to start on corn midweek. You never really know untill you hit the fields. For the state to admit numbers are down means something.

Just talked to my contact in Platte and the beans are in and most have started on corn--problem is they are still not seeing many birds east and southeast of town. Time will telll

Doesn't surprise me. 4 years ago a couple of GMA's and a big walk-in area SE of Platte were just loaded with birds. With water levels low there were a lot more places to nest and find cover. Last year the water was way up and bird numbers way down. I had a spot just SE of Platte where I always had a chance at a limit if I did my part, and last year I put up 1 hen. There was no sign of birds in the fields. Ducks, ducks, and more ducks with all the water, but no pheasants.

I wonder how the numbers are just south of Bonesteel.

Back