Bird numbers coming back

pbg

I hunt Eastern Montana around the Wibaux , Baker area, just wondering if Pheasant , sharptail numbers have started to come back after the 2016 storm and the drought. I hunted that area in 2017 and 2018 with poor success. I'm hoping the 2020 will be start of the come back ,if anyone is from that area I would appreciate an update. Thanks

The entire eastern Montana has been down the last 3 years.I think it will be better this year.The Lewistown area was decent last year, up north.

I went back in October and again in November and the hunting was some of the best in years, Good Pheasant numbers and the most sharptails and huns we have seen in the last 4 years

I went back in October and again in November and the hunting was some of the best in years, Good Pheasant numbers and the most sharptails and huns we have seen in the last 4 years
Yeah it's been fun. I hope Montana doesn't go to this rediculas pay hunting, like south Dakota. Its already starting. I hope they bring back the crp.

Last edited by a moderator:
So word is that the winter wasn't too bad, but sounds like you are burning up from the drought. Was there enough moisture to pull off a decent hatch?

So word is that the winter wasn't too bad, but sounds like you are burning up from the drought. Was there enough moisture to pull off a decent hatch?
In western Montana, there was some rain, but it was hot all summer. I'll bet it was high 90s in pheasant country. Central should be good again this year.

I hunt Eastern Montana around the Wibaux , Baker area, just wondering if Pheasant , sharptail numbers have started to come back after the 2016 storm and the drought. I hunted that area in 2017 and 2018 with poor success. I'm hoping the 2020 will be start of the come back ,if anyone is from that area I would appreciate an update. Thanks
I'm sure you know this, but those sign in box places get hammered!!

Back