Bird hunting guide near Bozeman?

GLinGA

Hey guys, new member here. Our son lives in Bozeman and I will be heading out to see him in late September to early October and do some grouse and pheasant hunting.

Do you know of any guides with dogs who guide on public lands? Not sure if anyone does that but figured I’d ask.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Al Gadory (sp) is a fly fishing/bird hunting guide on the Yellowstone River. We fished the spring creeks with Al many times, back in the day. Great guy. Not sure if Al is still in the game or not.

Yeah, we have a place to stay, eat, etc. We're looking more for a guide who'll take us out for one day.

First, there would be some decent grouse hunting on public lands I am guessing in the Bozeman area, pheasants, not so much. Over in the paradise valley there are some good pockets of pheasants, but most if not all are private and tightly controlled. I do not know of any bird guides that hunt public grounds. Second, I am not sure the length of your stay, but pheasant season begins on Oct. 6 this year. There is some really good Hungarian partridge hunting in areas not to far away, perhaps your son has met some new friends who would be willing to either point you in the right direction or even join you for a day. That all said, that would be a pretty good time to dip a line in area rivers!

Appears he is still in the game. Here's a link to his web site. http://6xoutfitters.com/mt-upland-bird-hunts/ But he is pretty spendy. $3,700 for a 3 day hunt.

I am sure Al.G would provide a first class, all inclusive upland bird hunting experience over his bird dogs for those looking for that kind of trip. Read those reviews.

Mrs Bumpo and I fished the three famous spring creeks near Livingston (Armstrong's, Depew's, and Nelsons) with Al many times over the years. There is extremely limited access to these waters and Al holds reservations during the major hatches. Simply fabulous fly fishing. This should be a "must" on the bucket list of every avid fly fisherperson in the USA.

Montana Husker - Thanks! We may just go with grouse this time as the pheasant season will be starting after I need to head back home. We always get some great fishing in, the Madison, Yellowstone, Soda Butte, Missouri, etc. He works for Yellow Dog Outfitters in Bozeman, the fly fishing travel company.

hi you might try the Montana outfitters and guide association in Helena... they could offer some input on possible local area guides , whom might have some local bird habitat, and dogs for a day or two...

Al Gadoury is great, but is almost all booked, and he only does 3 day trips.
You might google Dennis Kavanaugh, long term experience , likely runs his hunts similarly as Al.

Public grouse in the mountains is free, and tons of access, dogs helpful , but NOT necessary, walk the logging roads early in am.... huns , plently of access thru block mgt. but with out a dog , tough to find imo.

pheasants very difficult locally, very sought after , limited access...
yellow dog may have some connections, ,locally? dustin

I agree with what's been said in the previous posts. There are plenty of good upland opportunities around Bozeman, however, pheasants are tough. There are birds around but folks are pretty secretive about the places that offer public access. I would recommend chasing mountain grouse, as they will offer you the closest and best opportunity to find birds close to Bozeman. A good day chasing blues is an experience that will be unforgettable.

Back