Best Crates for releasing birds???

bradleyj

Hi guys,

When we released our birds this weekend we just used big fruit boxes for transport from the hatchery and it was a bit of a circus. Where is the best place to order plastic crates from? Any other advice?

Thanks.

There not cheap! But Stromberg's, Georgia Quail Farm will have them. Get chicken crates from any poultry supply. When you release them, open the up hopefully on the side, let them mosey out unconcerned, peck and see the world. I used a wooden box to release from for a while, put a tire inner tube as a gasket, to cover the top with a split where you can put birds in or out safely, I would keep it dark, so when you opened up door on the side, the sunlight would be visible, they should go out easily, with limited stress. I used mealworms, alfalfa greens, and millet to acclimate mine, but I had facilities to keep them. I was accused of being negative in my first post on feeding....did not want to give that impression. Just want you know, food is really the last worry on pheasant habitat, make them find it! Makes them wild. You know the old parable , if you give a man a fish he eats today...if you show a man how to fish, he eats for life. Here's to all those "fishing" pheasants!

Thanks guys. It sounds like keeping them dark is key. I have heard this from a few people. So if I make my own I can do so. All the ones I have seen on the Web are plastic and would have no darkness at all.

We use plastic crates from 3T Products. Once we load the crates we just throw a piece if lightweight burlap over it to calm them down

Dont know where I got em from but they make em for pheasants and quail. Put chukars in the quail pens. Use the shorter pens, if you fgive em too much space height wise they jump up and hit their heads alot. Ive seen em knock themselves out quite a bit. They are orange with white doors on them.
I dont know where you are from but I have a bunch of them. We are getting out of the preserve thing. I just dont have time to do it anymore,(cutting in to MY hunting time). I am going to keep a few as I will still raise a few birds but I would be willing to part with about 15 of em.

Last edited:
Back