Best all around choke constriction for pheasant

Improved modifide, and modifide for my gun. If I owned 2 IM's I would put one in both barrels. Reminds me, I need to see if I can find one for my FAIR gun. Cortona. But each gun will have a favorite choke for a favorite load. The ones mentioned, I think across the board are very popular for most guns.

Improved modifide, and modifide for my gun. If I owned 2 IM's I would put one in both barrels. Reminds me, I need to see if I can find one for my FAIR gun. Cortona. But each gun will have a favorite choke for a favorite load. The ones mentioned, I think across the board are very popular for most guns.

George Trulock has them!:10sign:
My son and I are real BIG FAIR fans BTW, between us we currently own 4, and I have bought and sold many in the past number of years, the Cortonas being the real sleepers there for a deal!:D
DT

I have an o/u and i shoot mod/full. I switch from IC/mod because most shots i have been having are from 25-60 yards not the best range for a I/C

Rrmtech

George Trulock has them!:10sign:
My son and I are real BIG FAIR fans BTW, between us we currently own 4, and I have bought and sold many in the past number of years, the Cortonas being the real sleepers there for a deal!:D
DT

Not so much of a deal no more LOL. If you can find one. Thanks for the tip. FYI, Basil Slaghter has parts and fixes them if ever needed. I have his site somewhere. Had to get a new cocking shaft. Mine fell out somewhere.

With a good load a 12 gauge IC will work out to 40. Unless you are some kind of national shooting champion I'd pass on 60 yard shots.

about 40 yards is where we pull the first trigger in trial shooting. If we shoot anything under you get the stink eye from handlers. They don't want dink retrieves. Not sure about the other guys in the teams, but with our loads and chokes, shots out to 60 are more then very common. Many retrieves are 80 yards plus. At leats the clubs I am a part of anyway. I think many people grow up shooting as fast as they can, trying to drop a bird before they have to fight with their pal over who shot a bird. And never take the time to study pattern, choke, or range. And never take relaxed shots while letting a bird ride out. If they would, they would find the bird much better for the table. And truely not at all any more difficult of a shot.:thumbsup:

That might be OK for "trail shooing," but in my opinion it's not a good idea or ethical to be shooting at birds that far away while actually hunting.

That might be OK for "trail shooing," but in my opinion it's not a good idea or ethical to be shooting at birds that far away while actually hunting.

+1.

Perhaps okay in competitive shooting/trial situations with a controlled environment, but I strongly agree about the ethical aspect of wounded birds in hunting situations that resulted from long shots. My dogs have found THREE cripples so far this year alone on public hunting grounds in Wisconsin. I obviously can't say that any of these results from long shots, but the reality is that those birds didn't meet the end the way they should have.

I would guess that trial shooters are often some of the best shooters who, like good SC shooters, see enough birds and angles to do the math well in placing pattern upon bird, or clay.
The problem with mentioning 40-60 yards shots in field trials is that folks on public message boards can interpret that shooting to dish-ragging wild birds of several species and, often, believe they can do it, as they can "bust a clay a good ways out".
Also, too many believe "the load" or choke is the trick rather than experience, a host of physical factors coming together and, the one big mental factor of..."too far, they'll be another."

I suspect that IC of .010 or so in a 12 would be a good bet in a single barrel today for most gamebirds. I tend to use Modified for pheasants but never find the birds inedible or sieved to the point of loss....distance is more the decision that affects such things than choke or load, to me.
Or perhaps, I just shoot poorly.

LOL, well I tend to not over think it I guess. I don't shoot any different at a strong well fed rocket from a pen in a trial then I do at wild birds. I guess I am unethical.:laugh: None the less, I don't feel I wound birds at all, but rather put more on the table by not blasting the entire thing to bits.;) As said, it is as simple as practice, pattern, and trying dif chokes with dif loads to see what works. Easily atainable by all who try.:thumbsup:

Is an improved cylinder at 40 yards that much different than an improved modified at 60?

I have shot a few dozen pheasants this year and haven't lost any shooting a full. I'd say a 3rd of the birds I shoot are over 40. It's just how it is where I hunt. If I was hunting a 2 barrel gun and/or more open chokes I can think of one bird I may have lost.

Everybody's situation is different....

Is an improved cylinder at 40 yards that much different than an improved modified at 60?

I have shot a few dozen pheasants this year and haven't lost any shooting a full. I'd say a 3rd of the birds I shoot are over 40. It's just how it is where I hunt. If I was hunting a 2 barrel gun and/or more open chokes I can think of one bird I may have lost.

Everybody's situation is different....

Some guns/loads just toss a crappy pattern with certain chokes. Mine for instance throws a crappy pattern at 40 yards with a full. I just put it on paper with the shells I use, see what choke kills the paper the best and thats that.:thumbsup:

Back