beepers and lost in the cattails

kurts

I guess this goes along with e-collar discussions but when my brit gets in the thick stuff I lose track of her and if she doesn't respond quickly enough to the whistle I start thinking to myself "is she on point or what" Then I reach for the controller and think to myself" if I nick her and she is on point I'll ruin this dog. I ran her last winter with a beeper to condition her to the sound and it never bothered her. We hadn't used it for a while but last time it freaked her out. I finally got her conditioned to tolerate it but now the tone change causes her to break the point. Any wisdom on this mess I got myself into?

I know it is another thing to carry, but I went and got a RoamEO GPS unit. It tells within a few feet of where the dog is. I don't like having to wear the remote control when I all ready have the E-collar and whistle on my neck. But it is the best thing to find your dog. My dog hates beepers and bells, he walks at heel until I take them off.......Bob

I know it is another thing to carry, but I went and got a RoamEO GPS unit. It tells within a few feet of where the dog is. I don't like having to wear the remote control when I all ready have the E-collar and whistle on my neck. But it is the best thing to find your dog. My dog hates beepers and bells, he walks at heel until I take them off.......Bob

that or a garmin astro...

basically what bob and i am saying is.. if youre gonna hunt in brushes most times or crop fields that are taller than your dog, or in crazy terrains... time to invest in a GSP locator...

they are handheld that will tell you where your dog is and if your dog is on point and you will be able to locate your dog without buzzing the dog.

it'll be the best investment you ever done if you do this. at least you wont be ruining your dog buzzing trying to find your dog in the brush... and you'll be able to find her or him quickly.

roamEO
http://www.roameoforpets.com/

Garmin Astro.
http://www8.garmin.com/astro/

not sure which is cheaper.. butg garmin i think has a farther distance.

Last edited:
never ran a beeper but hunted with guys who do its to annoying in my opinion and a gps well i can barely use the computer so i guess i'll just keep relying on the whistle

Joe, have you hunted with a dog like Tony? He will not release a point no matter what you do or say. You have got to find him and flush that bird. That is your job and by cracky you better do it. He'll hold that point all day otherwise........Bob

yes I have a brittany female that will not give up a point but if she doesnt come to the whistle then I always start lookin for her becouse she is probly on point

never ran a beeper but hunted with guys who do its to annoying in my opinion and a gps well i can barely use the computer so i guess i'll just keep relying on the whistle

well you dont have to be a computer whiz to figure out when a screen says your dog is on point and shows you the trail to get to your dog's on point.

you'll be happy you invested in one and never lose your dog when he/she is locked on.

if i need one i will look into it but most of the cover we hunt here is crp grass and if we do get into the thick stuff its not very big and you can usually figure out where the dog is in a matter of moments

Here in Washington we get so much Spring Rain. That our CRP, which I have to hunt, really no other cover here grows high. In some places it is up to my chest and I am 5 foot 11 inches. So when a dog is on point you play heck seeing them

Joe, I wish we had just half the pheasants you have in Kansas...........Bob

I guess this goes along with e-collar discussions but when my brit gets in the thick stuff I lose track of her and if she doesn't respond quickly enough to the whistle I start thinking to myself "is she on point or what" Then I reach for the controller and think to myself" if I nick her and she is on point I'll ruin this dog. I ran her last winter with a beeper to condition her to the sound and it never bothered her. We hadn't used it for a while but last time it freaked her out. I finally got her conditioned to tolerate it but now the tone change causes her to break the point. Any wisdom on this mess I got myself into?

I use a bell I love the bell and the sound it makes while hunting. I do use a beeper also My EP is ok with the sound but I have had setters that did not care for it. I have put tape over the beeper before to help quite the sound to help the dog get used to it. IF you have a beeper you can turn off anf on with a remote use that to locate you pup in the cattails then tun it off. Good Luck to ya.
IMO the GPS collars are to much dang money.

Put a bell on her so you always know her general location.

I have found that the bell works sometimes to also help hold the bird but then there are the times it will scare them into running

GCB I tried bells and around here they scare more birds that they hold. But that is the difference in areas. I even with the bell I had trouble finding Tony. For the bell was silent. What It came down to for me is. What is the price to stop aggravation? The cost of my Roameo.........Bob

GCB I tried bells and around here they scare more birds that they hold. But that is the difference in areas. I even with the bell I had trouble finding Tony. For the bell was silent. What It came down to for me is. What is the price to stop aggravation? The cost of my Roameo.........Bob

i agree...

i can see the problem with a bell. pheasants are gonna hear the dinging getting closer and closer to a point they are gonna run or fly.

with a bell, once the bell stops dinging, how do you locate your dog in high brush?

invest in an eletronic that will tell you where your dog without making noises and definately locate your dog when your dog is on point and wont have you calling your dog's name to find out where the dog is.

bob got the roameo, im getting the garmin Astro in a few weeks... i can see the huge advantage using GPS over bells and whistles.

Back