At the Dentist...

JMc

Super Moderator
So my stud hunting GSP Jax has had a broken lower k9 for some time. After the move from the Panhandle to Montgomery, I got hooked up with Spring Hill Veterinary Hospital. They felt like the tooth was needing to be extracted; so, Jax is at the "dentist" today. I'm hoping all goes well but feel awful that I'm subjecting him to something like this. Let me know if any of you have had this type of issue and what should I prepare for or expect until healed.
Thanks,
JMc

Over the years we had to have tooth extraction on various dogs. One of our current dogs has a lower front tooth missing from extraction. Healing and recovery all went well. Much like any surgery the recovery from being put under is the most difficult as it’s not easy to keep them calm and safe. Going up and down stairs needs to be controlled as like humans, they aren’t the most stable.

So my stud hunting GSP Jax has had a broken lower k9 for some time. After the move from the Panhandle to Montgomery, I got hooked up with Spring Hill Veterinary Hospital. They felt like the tooth was needing to be extracted; so, Jax is at the "dentist" today. I'm hoping all goes well but feel awful that I'm subjecting him to something like this. Let me know if any of you have had this type of issue and what should I prepare for or expect until healed.
Thanks,
JMc
I haven't been very active and missed your move south. All the best to you. Maynard

Update on Jax and the tooth: No extraction. X-rays showed no damage to jaw bone and or the nerves. They filed it down some and cleaned it well. A couple of days of antibiotics and a few pain pills along with some soft dog food and he's as good as new.

Also, had a great compliment from the vet's office staff. They said after 1000's of dogs they have treated, Jax was the first that actually kenneled himself without them having to fight to get him in the cage. Good boy!

Update on Jax and the tooth: No extraction. X-rays showed no damage to jaw bone and or the nerves. They filed it down some and cleaned it well. A couple of days of antibiotics and a few pain pills along with some soft dog food and he's as good as new.

Also, had a great compliment from the vet's office staff. They said after 1000's of dogs they have treated, Jax was the first that actually kenneled himself without them having to fight to get him in the cage. Good boy!

You gotta like it when they could have charged a higher fee for the service first quoted and then found a less costly alternative. A place to stick with for sure.

Good dog!

It's tough seeing our furry friends go through dental procedures, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing by seeking care for Jax. From my experience, the recovery process can vary, but your vet will likely provide post-op instructions. Keep an eye on Jax's eating habits and offer soft food if needed. Also, I recently visited a cosmetic dentistry clinic in Eastlake Ohio and had a positive experience. The staff was friendly and professional, and they provided excellent care. You might want to check them out if you need dental care too! Wishing Jax a speedy recovery and sending positive vibes your way!

Last edited:
Back