Anybody still hunting Minnesota?

jeffstally

Is anyone still going out or is the snow too deep?

I was thinking about going for some grouse this week...

I was all over the state this weekend. You can pretty well use Birdshooters snow depth chart he posted. It looked like Appleton area was still doable, as well as around here. Seen lots of birds by Appleton. Laverne/Worthington area had the least snow that I saw. Anything but that is deep. I came back past Souix Falls SD and they have it made there. If I could get out for a 5 dayer thats where I would head. Lots of stuff did not look much deeper then your ankles. Not sure about the Grouse range.

Last edited:
I went up to Mille Lacs WMA to hunt grouse today. I was told the snow wasn't too deep. Not true. It was almost up to my knees.

that was the last hunt for this year. Unless Zeb takes me to Hawaii.:D

Don't you wish! :) I'm done here also with all the snow we got. We really got dumped on along with 40 mph winds for 2+ days. After I got dug out today I drove around town. Haven't seen this much snow piled up since the winter of 96-97. Going to be real tough on the birds if we don't get some warm weather to melt off the field a little. It's also going to be tough getting the dogs enough exercise as walking in the fields is out of the question. Guess I'll have no choice but to road them. Did you get much up by Alex? Might have to try and get up some weekend when you are training.

Training is down to, get away from my bacon dammit.:D and dummy launches in the drive way. Snow piled up fast. It took me all day yesterday to dig out from this crap. I had to do the roof too. Broke the plow. The piles are so hard from the rain it was like hitting a brick wall. So today I get to lay in the frozen driveway welding.:mad:

Last edited:
DakotaZeb - Pick yourself up a pair of snowshoes or cross country skiis. Your dogs will get plenty of exercise away from roads.

Back