Any tips for hunting Huns?

edo

Curious what others have learned about hunting Huns. Any tips?

Mine is to drive the gravel roads at dusk. You will get an idea of how they are doing.
Also I use a handheld gps and create a way point for every covey I find. They don't go far and will be there year after year.

Good luck

Ive only gotten into two coveys of huns in my career. 1 in Wyoming and the other in North Dakota. Both were on the edge of crops and grass. Both scared me!!

Ive only gotten into two coveys of huns in my career. 1 in Wyoming and the other in North Dakota. Both were on the edge of crops and grass. Both scared me!!

This is funny, because, while growing up, the joke was, "When a covey of Huns gets up, your first shot goes straight up in the air because you're so surprised. The second shot is taken as a flock shot, and after missing there, the third shot is taken at an individual bird....but they're too far away for you to have a chance by then, so you might as well carry a single shot to save your shells.":cheers:
sized_DSC_1783.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I wish I could hunt them enough to get over my ''fear'' ! We found a covey last year in ND , hopefully they will be there this coming year. Tasty little things for sure!!

We tend to see them in cut corn fields, where there is still some stalks and corn standing. we see them in the same areas we see pheasants. We don't target them, but usually see them when out hunting pheasants. We have about 3 coveys on are farm. We never shoot them below 5 birds and this seems to insure there are birds the following year. Also, if you see them in one place one year, they are usually there the following years.

We tend to see them in cut corn fields, where there is still some stalks and corn standing. we see them in the same areas we see pheasants. We don't target them, but usually see them when out hunting pheasants. We have about 3 coveys on are farm. We never shoot them below 5 birds and this seems to insure there are birds the following year. Also, if you see them in one place one year, they are usually there the following years.

I agree on seeing them year to year in the same area. Last year was the first time I found them in a fallow corn field, and that was in ND.
Usually we hunt them in the sage brush/grassy areas in WY and MT. Lot of times the closest ag land is many miles away.

Get into them once & a great while in MN pheasant country always moved them outta near or into corn stubble... Seen em in Iowa always in corn stubble. They love droughts & short short grass & corn stubble. Cattle country & they also like there grit they need loose gravel I've herd & read more then other birds??? Not sure how true that is but in country I seen em has lots of loose gravel pockets & fallow spots for picking grit...

I have No clue on the open range sage birds...

Last edited:
Back