Any public land reports out of Winner South Dakota

Colo Rooster

Had a trip planned to go to Winner as we have done for the last 10 years. However I have started to hear reports that the area has still not recovered. Crops are still up and roughly only 40% of corn is down. DNR says 2 birds per square mile in their count but I would rather rely on hunters in the field. The last four years have been tough as compared to the first few years where pheasants crossed the ditches like mice. Anybody have some comments?

Had one report from a friend of mind that hunted in the Winner area - not sure where.

He came home with a limit; crops still up but they did see quite a few birds. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

If you call "Kooch" - Winner bird cleaner extraordinaire, he will have better information, 605-842-2394.

I hunted the area two years ago, in December, and had a successful trip; two fellows from Colorado brought me into their group and we had a grand time of it. They especially enjoyed my dog Max, as their dog wasn't quite up to the task...

Had one report from a friend of mind that hunted in the Winner area - not sure where.

He came home with a limit; crops still up but they did see quite a few birds. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

If you call "Kooch" - Winner bird cleaner extraordinaire, he will have better information, 605-842-2394.

I hunted the area two years ago, in December, and had a successful trip; two fellows from Colorado brought me into their group and we had a grand time of it. They especially enjoyed my dog Max, as their dog wasn't quite up to the task...

Had a call from a friend that spent three days out there after I posted this question. Had some good dogs. No pheasants one Grouse. Maybe 40% of the crops in. All public land. We have found the last couple of years that December is really the time to go. Crops are in and the birds are in cover. Thanks for the tip on Kooch. I'll give him a call.

Did you call Kooch? And info worth passing on? I'm considering that area, perhaps later on in Nov..

Thanks,

Jon

Have a friend who hunts in Winner every year at a private farm where they
Farm for habitat for pheasants owner is a pheasant hunter.Last few years
They have taken 600-700 birds off this property per season.This year 13
Hunters with 10 dogs first two days total 24 birds.All birds were last year
Birds.He said drought and two hail storms hit this property .He did say they
Saw quite a few hens so they are hoping for rebound if weather permits next year.

Back