Any bobwhite news?

Scott11T

Just wanting to know if anyone has heard any good or bad news for this coming season?

Anyone know when the surveys will be coming out?

The wildlife Dept. has conducted their August roadside survey but probably won't release the data until after the October roadside survey. Early word is the numbers are up in the Western part of the state. Check the wildlife Dept. website in late Oct. when they release data from both surveys.

It should be a pretty good year. Plenty of moisture through the northern part of the state. Word is good on the place I hunt in Osage Co. We'll see....

Well good to hear there is some optimism. This will be my second year to OK. It was pretty good to me last year in the western part of the state. I hope I have similar or better luck this year.

I'll be looking for the roadside survey.

Scott

I heard the pheasant were doing better than the quail. There was an awful lot of water. Will start running the dogs through some of our spots in the near future. Will keep counts.

ran the dogs this past weekend. 4 pheasant and 3 coveys in a couple hours pretty much walking the edge of covers just looking around. Last covey was all sparrow sized birds or so and barely able to fly. Some late nesting going on.

ran the dogs this past weekend. 4 pheasant and 3 coveys in a couple hours pretty much walking the edge of covers just looking around. Last covey was all sparrow sized birds or so and barely able to fly. Some late nesting going on.

That's encouraging news. I've yet to flush a pheasant in OK. I haven't been upland hunting that long though. I think I'll probably go the first and second weekends of December. My brittany and I can hardly wait. Hope we can kick up 4 pheasants and 3 coveys.

That's encouraging news. I've yet to flush a pheasant in OK. I haven't been upland hunting that long though. I think I'll probably go the first and second weekends of December. My brittany and I can hardly wait. Hope we can kick up 4 pheasants and 3 coveys.

Where are you located? I'd show you the ropes if you are close enough

Off subject, but is the 142.00 license good for the whole year for NR?

Pretty sure that's good until 12/31.

So if I waited till Jan1st it would be good for the fall of 2016 as well? Thank you!!:thumbsup: Never hunted Okla. But would love to get into some quail at some point before I get too much older... I have shot a few here and there, but never targeted them...:cheers:

Should be. I just bought one for my dad to come hunt out here. He's only coming until thanksgiving though so I didn't verify if it was fiscal year (hunting season) or calendar year. You probably want to verify that.

2015 NR Hunt is $142 and will be good through 12/31/15, the 2015 NR Hunt Fiscal Year is $176 and is good through 6/30/2016. My father is coming up this week from Louisiana and we hope to hunt some after Thanksgiving if A. the weather decides to not get too crazy and B. if any of my landowners decide that they aren't going to be deer hunting.

Back