Antelope/bird hunt

We are looking at applying for antelope tags this year and would like to combine that with some upland bird hunting. We hunted antelope a few years back in unit 72 I think, just west of Casper. It will be public land unless we could find private for a small access fee. We are not in search of trophy antelope just want to hunt but we do have a few pref points to use. Any suggestions as to an area that might provide both or any other input? Thanks for the help.

Antelope/Bird hunt

Actually that area west of Casper is/should/could be, pretty good for Antelope, Sage Grouse and Huns, the birds are dependent on the year, moisture etc. but this year we had decent Sage Grouse hunting, the huns were a little tougher, but I have found all 3 out there, that is usually where I go although anymore I dont usually go after the Sage grouse, shot some, not that good to eat so I figure I have had my share, but sometimes I forget that and chase a few.

Antelope have struggled some, in some areas, the winter was tough and the drought hurt, but I think they are making a rebound, should be decent this year if things dont go too awry.

Hard part will be drawing a tag.

Good luck, there are some nice goats out there, oh and watch for snakes...

Thanks for the reply and info. I think we have enough points to draw 72 again this year but was concerned because I did read where the antelope population had suffered some there. We saw some sage grouse and bought a small game license, but never saw them again after purchasing our license. Not sure what the plan will be at this point but hoping we get to make it out there somewhere.

I hunted 47(S. of Casper) a few years ago and saw some Sage grouse. I hunted with 2 points with a type 2 tag. Antelope were way down. Had a month to hunt and both trips it was a blizzard. I was just too picky in my quest and ate my tag. My buddy shot a nice buck first trip. I am not sure 2 points will get it done in 47 anymore . Probably 3pts for type 2 and 4pts for type 1. Just a guess but you never know.I need to find an area for 2 points this year. Good luck!:cheers:

Back