All is quiet on the NorthEastern front

PTM

With only two days left let's post up some last day Montana success stories and pictures to carry us through the impending months until the 2015 season. I'll be out Wednesday prepared to walk as many cattails as necessary and will post my results, I can't believe this is almost over once again.

Walk very very softly

Just got back from three days in Plentywood - Froid area.

When you see pheasants, you will encounter flocks of 200-500 birds. Our group can safely say that we saw in excess of 2500 to 3000 birds in three days.

When they hear you and your footsteps from 1/4 mile away they will be flushing very, very, very, wild. They flush at the sound of tires on the snow....never experienced anything like it.

If you manage to get some trapped it CRP. Walk very slowly looking at ground. Because the ones that are holding tight will be right underneath your foot and they will not budge. I just happened to see a rooster tail feather on the ground....I tugged at it....nothing...I tapped it with my foot,,,,EXPLOSION..of the best kind.....two shots at retreating rooster......and nothing but fresh air to breathe and good scenery to enjoy.

This was my experience from Sunday the 28th to Tuesday the 30th.

Good Luck

Lets hope for good weather and breeding conditions. This was the best year I ever had in Montana. I am hoping the birds do well and next year is as good or better.
mm

I had a good year as well but it just wasn't in the cards today, we put up a lot of brown ones but just couldn't close the deal, 2014 was a great year and right now there is no snow on the ground so hopefully the birds will have a good spring.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

I only hunted pheasants 7 days in 2014 (the least in 20 plus years). Mostly due to a a long range fishing trip out of San Diego in November. However, I did get out for the last 3 days. The dog and I killed an easy limit on public land on day one. Temp was 0 and the wind was blowing, not sure why no one else was out? :rolleyes:

The next day was -20 air temp (F), 4 of us hunted some outstanding private land and killed and easy limit. Went back and did it again the next day, air temp 15 and light wind, downright balmy. Three days, 27 birds, not a bad way to end the season. :cheers:

DSCN1205_zps6b3eed78.jpg

Awesome, looks like you had some snow, we could have used some our last day.

Back