9/1 plans

I was just thinking about it this morning. I can't believe we're already talking about this. Time flies:eek:.

Calling a buddy this afternoon to see what he has for cut wheat fields for geese. If nothing is a go on his end I'll hit doves. Teal starts down here on the 5th.:)

Nick

Last edited:
I will be headed out for early goose but this early goose season I will be trying exterior zone. Which is a totally different ball game come paired to hunting horicon.

Remtech

Haven't been around the sight much lately, we headed out this AM chasing geese.
My son locked down a good field that the farmer doesn't allow hunting on but he helped stack hay for 2 days and got us in! We limited with our 10 geese in under an hour, could have been done quicker if my shooting wasn't so rusty....hard to believe a guy can head shot the first three birds and then proceed to miss the next 12 shots:eek: but we got it done and a great start to the new hunting season.

Haven't been around the sight much lately, we headed out this AM chasing geese.
My son locked down a good field that the farmer doesn't allow hunting on but he helped stack hay for 2 days and got us in! We limited with our 10 geese in under an hour, could have been done quicker if my shooting wasn't so rusty....hard to believe a guy can head shot the first three birds and then proceed to miss the next 12 shots:eek: but we got it done and a great start to the new hunting season.

Nice. How are you cooking those bad boy's up?

Nice. How are you cooking those bad boy's up?

I've never found a way to cook them that I like, normally we clean them and then give them to the old timers that can't chase them anymore.
But we took half of them and put them in different seasonings and marinades and I cut them into thin strips in the fridge over night and I'm going to put them in the smoker this afternoon, hopefully one of the flavors comes out good and it'll be like a jerky.

Any info on a good way to cook them I'm all ears!

Any info on a good way to cook them I'm all ears!

Sure. There's an easy way to cook them that I like. Take the breasts (legs too--if you eat those) and let them soak in salt water--in the refrigerator---for 24 hours (give or take). This will draw the blood out of the meat. As you know, the blood of a goose has a potent, strong smell and flavor that's not all too pleasant. As the saying goes; "Blood is the enemy". So, removing as much as possible makes a huge difference.

Pat the meat dry, then coat with onion or garlic power (heavy)--both spices is fine too. Basil or oregano (heavy), salt and pepper to taste. Cook on the grill or the oven. I prefer the oven because geese tend to release a lot of juice as they cook so I can place them in a pan to catch all the juices. You can do the same on the grill if you'd like (with a pan).

I remove the breast meet from the oven while the inside is still very rare. Cut it thin, then put it back into it's juices (left behind while cooking). Make sure the juice is not so hot it keeps cooking the sliced meat. Key on geese is to keep the meat very rare.

Another one (for the grill)---again, pat the meat dry, then coat (heavy) with extra virgin olive oil before applying the spices---onion or garlic powder/Basil or oregano--then salt and pepper to your taste. Char one side on high heat, then flip, coat/brush olive oil on the chard/cooked side. Try not to brush off the spices while doing this.

Once the other side is done, apply olive oil to that side too. Make sure it's very rare then slice and enjoy:thumbsup:

Nick

Last edited:
Back