#6 bismuth combo load?

Thinking of pheasant/quail hunting Nebraska in a WK or so & can encounter some quail on same WPA & or revolving DU lands I'm pheasant hunting I must use non toxic loads & thinking some 12GA 2 3/4 bismuth #6 will work out well on both???

What your thoughts on using it as a combo pheasant/bob white quail load??? I use high power 7.5 followed by some 2 3/4 #6 prairie when I can use lead shot...

#2 #3 & #4 shot when I use steel for pheasant 2 3/4

Last edited:
Unless you want to limit your shots on pheasants somewhat, I'd use 5's, particularly this late in the season when pheasants are just plain tougher than they were earlier. I used 16 ga. bismuth 5's the vast majority of this season. It kills well, but it's not lead.

95% of my birds are shit off point & I walk fast & get in on some cluster flushes close but I was afraid of the #6 bismuth on pheasants alone I'd rather use #4. But I think a #4 or #5 bismuth mite destroy a quail at close range???

I've killed roosters late January with 7.5 high brass loads but forgot I had it in thought it was a #6 or #5 only 3 or so times but at under 30 they must work...

Thanks for the info I mite just save the $ I have a WK to decide ...

My 2 cent opinion- lived in NE KS for 15yrs and a mixed bag was always happening. I carried a double barrel (O/U) and in the first barrel would put 7.5 skeet load and the second barrel #5 or #4 magnum load (all shells 2 3/4). If a pheasant got up I would hit him with both barrels if necessary, usually the skeet load did well, did not kill them all the time but had a real good lab. When a covey went up, I would only fire the skeet load then when f/u on the singles would put in 2 skeet loads. Cannot recall having a rooster flush when chasing quail singles, but it was a long time ago.

I know now we have the non-toxic rule...but same principle could apply, ie. maybe shoot a steel load in the first barrel and put a high-end $$ non-toxic shell in the second barrel for if a rooster gets up.

My 2 cent opinion- lived in NE KS for 15yrs and a mixed bag was always happening. I carried a double barrel (O/U) and in the first barrel would put 7.5 skeet load and the second barrel #5 or #4 magnum load (all shells 2 3/4). If a pheasant got up I would hit him with both barrels if necessary, usually the skeet load did well, did not kill them all the time but had a real good lab. When a covey went up, I would only fire the skeet load then when f/u on the singles would put in 2 skeet loads. Cannot recall having a rooster flush when chasing quail singles, but it was a long time ago.

I know now we have the non-toxic rule...but same principle could apply, ie. maybe shoot a steel load in the first barrel and put a high-end $$ non-toxic shell in the second barrel for if a rooster gets up.

If using non toxic & only rooster area I use. Big #shot & kinda leery of using the #7 steel i have as a non toxic option in the mixed bag option #7 steel & pheasant don't mix lol. Thinking bismuth #5 they not as $pendy as hevi shot plus I get 25

If I start seeing more roosters then im good to go with #5 bismuth ... Probably buy prairie storm #6 for strictly lead mixed bag load... 7.5 just to small for a bad shot like my self lol I do have a great retriever

I'm using a Beretta auto all 2 3/4 loads 3 in. Over kill

Thanks mlf

Last edited:
Back