28ga. What brand ammo you use?

I have been using winchester so far and like it, but not the price..:(

Does anybody use Fiocchi 7/8's oz. shells at 1300fps ??

The winchester 1oz. shells at 1205fps is what I use for upland game so far...

Pheasants...1oz of #5 shot 1205fps
Sooty blue grouse...1oz. #5 or #6's 1205fps
Mountain quail...1oz. of #6 shot 1205fps
Valley quail...1oz. of 7.5 shot 1205fps

Dove...3/4oz of 7.5 shot at 1300fps super sport sporting clays (good price at wally world)

So what shell's you been using? please tell..;)

I have shot a 28 for several years now and I find. I do just as well with the standard 3/4 ounce loads, as the high priced stuff mentioned above. If I want to shoot those weighs of shot, I go to my 20 gauge. Those weights are standard for the 20 and one heck of a lot cheaper........Bob

I agree with Bob. I shoot 3/4oz loads. Don't try and make the 28 a 20ga. I too go to the 20ga if more of a pay load is needed

I agree with Bob. I shoot 3/4oz loads. Don't try and make the 28 a 20ga. I too go to the 20ga if more of a pay load is needed

I really like the 1oz. loads, just dont seem to miss much.:)

Nobody makes 5 shot in 3/4 oz loads that I know of...7/8's and 1oz. only.

Sg, I brot down about 5 wild roosters this year with 3/4 oz of 7.5s winchester AAs. I'm going to start reloading and I may try some 7/8 oz loads, but no more than that. My 28 at just over 5lbs kicks pretty good already throwing 3/4s @1300fps, I will switch to my 20ga when 1oz loads are needed.

Sg, I brot down about 5 wild roosters this year with 3/4 oz of 7.5s winchester AAs. I'm going to start reloading and I may try some 7/8 oz loads, but no more than that. My 28 at just over 5lbs kicks pretty good already throwing 3/4s @1300fps, I will switch to my 20ga when 1oz loads are needed.

Qh, yep, I took 5 wild roosters as well with the 28ster...more than my 12ga. friends, 1oz. of #5's did the trick...leave the 20 at home..lol ;)

I read somewhere the Europeans are making a 3" 28 guage guns and ammo.
Which of course begs the question........WHY?

It was supposed to be in the 2010 Fiocchi catalog but I can't find it in the 2011. Perhaps a quick death.

Last edited:
IMO, for some..affording more then one gun may be a issue, specially in countries that require you to license/permit to own each and every gun you have. You have to realize, not every country is like the U.S. when it comes to people owning several Doz. guns. In Europe one may shoot the same gun all their life or maybe even be shooting a gun that has been in the family for generations. If a person hunts waterfowl on occasion but a majority of his/her shooting is upland birds. They may have a use for a 3" chambered 28. I did find the 3" shells in the 2010 catalog.

If you feel you need a 3" in a 28 ga. why didn't you buy a 20 ga. in the first place?? :confused:

It's about the same as those that would like to see a 3" in a 16 ga. I shoot a 16 because it is what it is. If I felt I needed a 3" sheel in my 16 ga. I'd get out the 12 ga.

Now that we have 3 1/2" in the 12 ga. maybe we need to lobby for a 4"? :)

American shooters, maybe all shooters have forever been enamored by bigger, faster, heavier, shotshell loads. I call this the "Elmer Keith Syndrome". Akin to shooting Coues Deer with 375 H&H magnum. English shooters with years of driven targets, drop pheasants with 1 ounces of 7 shot, at distances that would leave us mortals slack jawed in amazement. It's shot placement, and pattern which does the work. All else has been said here already, why make a 28 a light 12? Same reason we seem to want to make Shorthairs, bob tailed, horizon bending, English Pointers. I don't have a clue.

I know this thread was originally about 28ga, but since we are talking about 3" I would argue that 20ga 3" is good for nothing but possibly duck hunting. I see guys with 3" 1 1/4 loads for pheasant hunting and have to assume these shells probably don't pattern well put of a 20. More shell does not equal cleaner kills, better shooting equals cleaner kills.

I read somewhere the Europeans are making a 3" 28 guage guns and ammo.
Which of course begs the question........WHY?

It was supposed to be in the 2010 Fiocchi catalog but I can't find it in the 2011. Perhaps a quick death.

I would say why not...410, 20, 12, did it, more fps with a bit more shot.

If it pattern's anything like the 2 3/4's ,you will have a winner :thumbsup:
if you can afford it.

Ok, back on track, what ammo you using?...anybody using Fiocchi 7/8's?

Was at Scheels in reno last weekend and the Fiocchi was 14.99 for a box of 25, almost bought 4 of boxes but was wondering if people liked em before I take out a second on the home :eek:

Last edited:
If you feel you need a 3" in a 28 ga. why didn't you buy a 20 ga. in the first place?? :confused:

It's about the same as those that would like to see a 3" in a 16 ga. I shoot a 16 because it is what it is. If I felt I needed a 3" sheel in my 16 ga. I'd get out the 12 ga.

Now that we have 3 1/2" in the 12 ga. maybe we need to lobby for a 4"? :)

I don't understand the bitter response. Nobody told anybody they had to shoot any certain length of shell out of their gun. Plenty of people with 3.5" 12ga's shoot 7/8oz target loads out of their gun. It's not like they broke some law. obviously somewhere in the world, they think the 3" 28a has a calling or they wouldn't be loading it.

Europe has much different needs and wants then here in the U.S. Just discussed this on another forum. A gent was just on a business trip to Belgium and he took a tour of the Browning custom shop. Where they make the B25 Superposed in 16ga. They have never been available here in the U.S. Just another example of calls for different guns in different areas of the world.

Sounds like nobody using Fiocchi in the 28ga. I guess I will break down and give em a try, might be my go 2 round this season, will see.

Sooty, I have used them. They are Great ammo

Back