2023 Regs

gimruis

The upcoming hunting season regulations are out. Really no change in upland bird hunting regulations from what I can see. However, they've now legalized the use of a crossbow during deer season for the general population during all of archery season. Its going to put more people in the woods and fields, especially the second half October right before firearms season. There is also another 4 day youth season and an early firearm anterless season Oct 19-22 which creates additional blaze orange requirements for all bird hunters during this time frame.

I think you are correct with the thought of the crossbow putting more people out in field. I decided to sell my surplus of portable deer stands, ladder and blinds recently and the used market has been pretty strong for those items.

I think you are correct with the thought of the crossbow putting more people out in field. I decided to sell my surplus of portable deer stands, ladder and blinds recently and the used market has been pretty strong for those items.
Wisconsin legalized it several years ago and they added 35,000 new participants because of it. Wisconsin is a bigger deer hunting state than MN is, but I still imagine there will be added participants. Peak archery hunting is the second half of October right before firearms season too.

They also allow crossbow hunting for turkeys as well while using an archery license. To me that may make me buy a crossbow to have the ability to hunt all season.

The gun deer seasons are getting a little out of hand in my mind. Early youth hunt, regular season, muzzle loader, holiday hunt, special super duper cwd extended season, youth season closer, slug saturdays and .308 thursdays. Maybe they could just up the limit during the regular season? I'm not super annoyed with it, but I feel like I need to hire a secretary to ask if I should wear full blaze orange when I hunt tomorrow. Really I think a nice orange hat is all you need, but usually I have on a little more just because my vest has a few patches. Ok, I'm stepping off the soap box now😅.

The gun deer seasons are getting a little out of hand in my mind.
I completely agree, its out of hand. There were none of these special seasons when I was growing up. If I wanted to hunt, I went on opener with the gang. Special seasons that cater to a specific demographic, nope.

Its easy to see why the DNR does it though. It generates revenue. And since deer hunting is BY FAR the most popular game/season in this state, they are going to treat it as a priority.

B & C or P & Y does not recognize a record caliber buck if its taken during a special season either. Not that most people would care about that though.

Last edited:
The gun deer seasons are getting a little out of hand in my mind. Early youth hunt, regular season, muzzle loader, holiday hunt, special super duper cwd extended season, youth season closer, slug saturdays and .308 thursdays. Maybe they could just up the limit during the regular season? I'm not super annoyed with it, but I feel like I need to hire a secretary to ask if I should wear full blaze orange when I hunt tomorrow. Really I think a nice orange hat is all you need, but usually I have on a little more just because my vest has a few patches. Ok, I'm stepping off the soap box now😅.
I have to agree. Seemed like between them all, the orange requirement went on for most of the pheasant season. But to be honest, besides slug season I saw very little compliance with the orange during those special seasons.

I completely agree, its out of hand. There were none of these special seasons when I was growing up. If I wanted to hunt, I went on opener with the gang. Special seasons that cater to a specific demographic, nope.

Its easy to see why the DNR does it though. It generates revenue. And since deer hunting is BY FAR the most popular game/season in this state, they are going to treat it as a priority.

B & C or P & Y does not recognize a record caliber buck if its taken during a special season either. Not that most people would care about that though.
Youth season over MEA doesn't really generate revenue... but it allows for your kid to get used to the hunt in a controlled environment. I love it, and am certain we will have safer and better deer hunters because of it.

Dont give two hoots about B&C or P&Y either

outh season over MEA doesn't really generate revenue... but it allows for your kid to get used to the hunt in a controlled environment. I love it, and am certain we will have safer and better deer hunters because of it.

Dont give two hoots about B&C or P&Y either
That's great. I'm still against it and every other early or special hunt that limits participants to a specific demographic. If you want to hunt you should have to go on opener just like everyone else.

Back