2017 Pheasant SD Survey

there are tons of preservers in SD and lots of birds raised locally in pens........the high dollar corporate guys pay plenty to see lots of birds, shipping in birds is nothing new, just will be a bigger demand this season due to anemic numbers...these guys spend 300-500 per day....that pays for a lot of pen raised birds.

$300-500 per day is cheap. I have a friend that guides at an upscale lodge west of Mobridge. They are getting $3,800-5,000 per person for a 3 day hunt depending on the size of the group. Lots of wining and dining!!

Iowa might have 1.5 mil. CRP but only 25,000 acres of public access to that private CRP. And few of those 1.5 mil. acres are large tract. Mostly buffer strips along creeks and dredge ditches with room for only one or two guys. An hour to hunt here and an hour over there. A group of guys used to the Dakotas or Kansas and coming to Iowa will be sorely disappointed.

I need to go to Iowa then. That sounds to me like hunting. Walking in a big line with a bunch of guys isn't really my style. Give me myself and one or two others and that's the style I like.

Only one problem. It's gonna be hard to explain to the folks in Iowa why a guy from the so called pheasant capital is leaving there to come hunt in Iowa. Can you imagine the crap I'd get chasing pheasants in Iowa with South Dakota plates on.

Only one problem. It's gonna be hard to explain to the folks in Iowa why a guy from the so called pheasant capital is leaving there to come hunt in Iowa. Can you imagine the crap I'd get chasing pheasants in Iowa with South Dakota plates on.

No, that's easy--your mistresses live in Iowa!

Always nice to hunt in different areas and a change of scenery, thats what I like about it.

Back