2016 Wisconsin possession limit increased

Kismet

UPH Guru
In what may one of the quietest modifications to hunting rules since I've been around, The State of Wisconsin increased the possession limit of pheasant from four birds to six birds in total possession (afield and in the freezer.) The increase is in the small game regulation booklet for 2016--which I didn't read at season's start--duh.

This is good news for me, because I'd like to extend my consumption of birds through the Winter, and I can go out between the week-ends to State property and work the dog(s).

In the past, I've dropped off birds as gifts to a wide variety of folks in town and a few I've met out in the community. Ironically, I give away the birds with the least damage from shot, saving the harder-hit ones for myself. So it ends up that I train the dogs, stalk the birds, field dress and skin the carcasses, and then give away the best game. I think I've got the equation backwards, but I'm reluctant to give damaged birds to others.

So now, I can keep six birds, and not have to drop off ones from the freezer before I go hunting again. :)

Thank you, upland game officials, who ever you are.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Read, read, read...Opening day was switched to 9am this year in the same handbook. We took our opening day limit and were leaving the field when a couple trucks were pulling up at 11:30 to get ready for what they thought was the noon opener. They weren't happy about not reading the handbook.

Best o luck for the remainder of the year.

Back