20 guage sears and roebuck

jmnhunter

Father in law says he has a sears and roebuck 20 gauge pump, thats the only info he has on it, that he would sell for about $150, I was thinking I could give it to my son when hes old enough. Are these in general decent shotguns?

It is my guess that it was made by Riverside Arms. My first shotgun was a 16 gauge version of that. If it is in good shape it should be a good gun.

Not sure I would recommend a pump for a youth - they do kick a bit and can be a challenge to shoot. Just my take...

Hi, Winchester also made guns for Sears (The Ted Williams series). It was a Winchester Model 1200, branded the Model 200 by Sears. They had a variable choke device similar to a Polychoke. I had a friend who had the Model 200 and to be honest, it was better quality than the Winchester branded gun. Better wood, blueing was better, just seemed to be a better gun.

Depending on condition, $150 isn't a bad price.

Good Luck!

Greg

I mean no disrespect but I do not understand.

Do you really have to pay your father-in-law $150 for the gun or is he going to gift it to his grandson?

There is no way that I would charge my son-in-law for a gun that would go to my grandchild.

$150 is not a bad price but it is probably a maximum for such a gun. I sold a Sears 12 gauge pump a few years ago for that price... to a stranger.

Could be a High Standard, if it is a JC Higgins model 20. Some folks think it is one of the best pumps out there.

thanks guys, looks like i need to stop and take a peak and model number off of it; I already have a single shot New England 20guage I used when i started-and to be honest, i think it kicks more than a 870 20guage-- i figured would suffice until he makes it to a 12guage. Hell, maybe I could buy the gun off of him and use it for grouse hunting!

JS; no worries, kind of thought the same way, but this is a gun my FIL came across, hes one of those guys that buys alot of used stuff at a deal and flips them, mostly cars, and small engines. It wasnt a gun hes had memories with by any means...

I have a Sears shotgun that works pretty darn good. I think it was made by JC Higgens. Its 12 gauge with a dial-a-prayer choke, the choke still works too. Every now and then my buddies and I will go to the trap range with our "oddest" shotgun and this is my go to.

I may be incorrect but I think the label “JCHiggins” was what Sears put on them. Kind of like “Kenmore” or “Craftsman”.

After JCHiggins they went to “Ted Williams” I think.

High Standard was most likely the maker of a JCHiggins.

That would make sense why my Sears 12ga says J.C. Higgins on it, but that web page says High Standard made it.

Back