2 man tactics?

Stickbow

Just going to be me and one other guy coming out in 2 weeks. What are some of your favorite ways to kill those buggers with just two guys and a dog? I'm planning on targeting small patches of overlooked cover.

Just going to be me and one other guy coming out in 2 weeks. What are some of your favorite ways to kill those buggers with just two guys and a dog? I'm planning on targeting small patches of overlooked cover.

Hunt ditches next to cut corn

Do we need one to walk and other person to block?
The way I do it one guy and the dog in the ditch the other drive the truck down to where the ditch Peter's out than walk quietly back to about 70yards of the dog than turn around and flank back to the truck. Walk into the wind as much as possible and be quiet

opener was just a buddy and I...we killed our 18 birds...hunted 3 days....big cover, small cover, cattails, food plots, trees, you name it...go slow...hunt edges...follow your dog...trust your dog...pheasants will hold tight...hunt into the wind...be quiet...

I would not use the walk and block method for 2 guys, well, then again I wouldn't use it in any scenario. Just spread out about 50 yards apart and hunt the areas benelli banger just told you to.

We always had luck just spreading out and going slow. Smaller spots if possible. Slow and quiet.

We just booked our home base in Huron. Free cancellations on our booking so we may move further west if need be.

Ditch hunting with two guys can be great.Find about 2 or 3 miles of ditch
Next to food.Drop one guy off truck drive up about 1\2 mile leave keys in truck get out and start hunting in same direction when first guy gets to truck he moves it past you and does the same thing
Great for ditches that one man can handle, with dog even better
Just hopscotch over each other.No walking back to get truck.
You can cover a lot of ditch that way.

its not for a big running field dog, and older dog that can pace works fine, better between 130 and 400 pm.

Thanks for the info guys. Really getting excited for this trip. I'm sure I will find it in the regulations but, what is the law for discharge of a firearm from gravel roads?

Some others already hit the nail on the head. Slow and into the wind. Before I got my GSP my hunting buddy and I hunted for years just the two of us and no dog. You get smart really fast and figure it out; good ditches next to harvested corn, pinch them by walking towards each other or one blocking. Obviously safety is the number one issue; you better know where your barrel is at all times and know your hunting partner. Not ideal, but we've been doing it long enough I trust him and he trusts me.

Way better with the GSP now though!! Can't wait to get up there next week!

Stickbow, What type of cover do you normally like to hunt..Cattails, grass, crops, etc..? What kind of cover is most suitable for your dog? My hunting partner Jack is a GSP and I love getting out in the fields keeping the wind in his nose and watching him work. I don't hunt the ditches but a couple of guys in my party do when the dogs need a small break on days 3, 4 and 5. If hunting public, grab an Atlas and hop on google earth to do some preliminary scouting, before heading out, it is a good way to create a game plan and narrow down a handful of spots to hit.

My setter is used to pulling double duty for pheasants or grouse. Our typical pheasant Cover is crp or cattails. He will pin birds and hold point 100 yards away if I let him range that far.The more open the further I let him go. Grouse in the big woods I will keep him closer due to a lot of wolves in the area we hunt. I have know idea if the amount of bird scent we encounter out there will have him crazy. We are used to single or double birds at best.

Back