10 Days in the Mecca

reddog

I'm not going to write out a full report,as #1, Im way busy getting caught up form being gone from work, and #2, some of it is already posted in a couple other threads..

Left for SD on the 17th, to hunt the opening weekend with friends west of Mitchell.. It was hot, but the hunting was decent, considering the amount of crop in yet, and the temps. We didnt fill either day of the weekend, but was close for 8 guys..

Monday I headed further west, and took the day off from any activities, other than getting ready to fish for two days with friends from Oklahoma that were coming up early for a couple days of R&R. Fished Tueday and Wednesday, with limited success, but overall had a great time, and enough fish for a couple fish fries.

Thursday found me hunting alone, and that went well, with 3 birds and one chicken.

Friday found me up north with 519vx, and that story is on another thread.

Saturday, I hunted alone, and put up a limit of chickens, and zero roosters for the day. The dogs and I are getting tired!. Sunday, I headed home early, to find my spot on the couch for the rest of the afternoon. Both me and the dogs are still recovering..

Heres a few pictures along the way.

Welcome to SD!
20141017_180716.jpg

20141023_162816.jpg

20141019_183006.jpg

Two years ago, I bought a sweet little Browning A5 20 mag with a skeet bbl on it from a member here. While packing to go, when I opened the gun safe, the little girl (who hasnt seen daylight since 1968) was whispering to me. Cant I go? Please, take me along. Ill be good. so I gave in to my emotions and loaded her up beside my Beretta 686 20 double gun for company. I took her out on Saturday and while I didnt really shoot her very well, I had enough opportunities to have a good hunt with her. I took her out Thursday morning also, and really shot horrible with her, and had to retire her, before I ran out of shells for the week. She comes up completely different than my double, and I found myself unable to bring the bbl down and shot over everything that got up. It sure was fun to feel that action working though. IM sure with a little practice, I could overcome my difficulties with her, but overall, she was a joy to carry, and Im sure she enjoyed her time out in the field.

20141019_173130.jpg

Had to pull out the 686 for the evening hunt on Thursday.

20141023_180833.jpg

Love these birds also!

20141025_103456.jpg

reddog,

I was going ask this question on a new post but where do you find the chickens? can they be found the same places pheasant are? I wouldn't mind trying to get one. Also, do they sit tight? Beautiful dogs btw!

reddog,

I was going ask this question on a new post but where do you find the chickens? can they be found the same places pheasant are? I wouldn't mind trying to get one. Also, do they sit tight? Beautiful dogs btw!

If you are in chicken/grouse country, yes, they can be found in some of the same areas.

The first one of the day, I was sitting on a dirt road overlooking a WIA and watched a flock of about 15 come over the horizon.. They made a swing towards me, and lo and behold, they sat down in 24 inch grass 100 yards away from me in the WIA..

The second one came strangely enough in the middle of the afternoon from a cedar tree line. There were three of them in there in the shade, picking grasshoppers, it appeared.

The third came from a harvested corn field towards the end of the day..

All were taken while hunting pheasants, not specifically for chickens. I do think that it would be rare to shoot a limit in pheasant country regularly..

Congrats!

Thanks Reddog and I enjoyed your pics!:)

When I am not out I sure enjoy seeing how my friends and fellow hunters are doing! Enjoy the fall!

Back