Inheritance

Drew

A good friend of mine was moving into a retirement home and selling his house and many possessions and asked me to come over to see if there was anything I wanted. He had some 12 gauge ammo that was purchased in the 1960's, several gun cleaning kits that he wanted to give me and the he pulled out a 1949 A5 that he gave me. His Dad bought it for him when he was 12 and he hunted until he couldn't go anymore. It was in pretty rough shape. After replacing a few very rough pieces it will be a very serviceable shotgun. Then my father inlaw passed away and he had a gun safe full of guns. He didn't hunt but for some reason he collected some odd ones. A M1 Garand, a WWI 10 gauge trench gun and an 1892 32-32 Winchester. I cleaned it up and it actually is in pretty good shape. I also got a 1950 Savage 22 Hornet that has been beaten to hell but the action seems pretty clean.

The circle of life was good to me this last week.

Attachments

• rifle.jpg
    rifle.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
32-32 Winchester

My Great Grandfather had one of those. I think it was a 32 Special. He actually used it to deer hunt until he died in 2006. He would bring that thing in and a .270 with a scope into his stand for years. If the deer was within 50 yards, he used the 32 Special (open sights).

My Uncle has that gun now. Don't think he ever plans to use it.

I had an old friend in his late 80’s that I hunted with. He loved to see my dogs point roosters and he killed a couple the last time we hunted together. He was 87 at that time and told me he wanted me to have his old Belgium Browning A-5 12 gauge since his kids didn’t hunt and wanted nothing to do with hunting or fishing. It was a prized possession and meant a lot to him since his wife had bought it for him when they first married.
We talked on the phone every month or so, mostly about hunting and fishing and when he could come up from KC. He called one night to tell me he was in hospice and had me talk to his son about me getting his old A-5. His son took my name, address and phone number and promised he would let me know when his dad died. I heard him promise his dad that he would get me that shotgun but I never heard from him again. He didn’t even notify me when the old fellow died. The next time I called, the phone was disconnected. That gun would have had some sentimental value to me but it was well worn and not particularly valuable. I hope it ended up in the possession of a family member and not in a pawn shop.

Back