Hettinger

Dixieman

Good evening. How is the hunting going around the Hettinger area. I was there in late October during the big snow storm. We did okay on all species of birds. Could have done a lot better if we didn’t have to hunt in that driving snow and also very little of the corn was out making it very hard to get close to the birds. How is everyone doing since the corn is mostly out. I am very interested in knowing. Thanks so much.

This is response to inquiry this morning from Mike. I think Hettinger is a good area. When we hunted it was in the middle of a big snow storm in late October. In the past I have always hunted about 100 miles north of there. I was used to a lot more wheat country and and long coulees and draws. Not so much around Hettinger. Big time corn country with a fair amount of walk in areas. We got into a fair amount of pheasants but I have seen a lot more further north. Most of the corn was still in the fields and that made it really tough to get close to the birds. I would definitely recommend going later in November when the corn is out. All that said Huns and sharptails were off the charts. We harvested more sharptails than Huns. The Huns were wild as could be. Never seen them that wild. Could have been the heavy wind and snow. I don’t know. Anyway hope this helps

We hunted mainly private but the walk in areas we did hunt were all CRP and all held quite a few birds. In the heavy snow the walking was brutal with snow breaking down the switch grass but we did okay. Just about all prairie weeds. Hardly any cat tails or trees

Chris I tried to send you response on the email you sent. It would not go thru. Don’t know how to get in touch with you.

Chris. If you know a way we can connect I would be glad to talk with you even on the phone. I have hunted Montana and North Dakota many times. I would love to share my info with you.

Chris. If you know a way we can connect I would be glad to talk with you even on the phone. I have hunted Montana and North Dakota many times. I would love to share my info with you.

Sent you another message with my personal email......

Good evening. How is the hunting going around the Hettinger area. I was there in late October during the big snow storm. We did okay on all species of birds. Could have done a lot better if we didn’t have to hunt in that driving snow and also very little of the corn was out making it very hard to get close to the birds. How is everyone doing since the corn is mostly out. I am very interested in knowing. Thanks so much.
We are opening a pheasant hunting lodge this fall 20 miles away from hettinger this fall. You can PM me if you'd like to see what we are offering.

Back