How many shells?

I apologize LittleBigHorn22, perhaps I'm a little sensitive about my poor shooting.
I feel that. I know I'm a terrible shot. I can go 80/100 on sporting clays and then the next day only hit 20/100. Still trying to figure out what works for me. Probably should do a gun fitting. Also keep in mind people on the internet frequently lie or conveniently leave out their bad days so don't take other's criticism too strongly.

Thanks, Ditto for me. I shoot skeet and trap and do well. I shoot well when its a rooster but quail and chukar are so fast and as I get older and slower they seem to fly faster and even harder to catch up to, but man I love the challenge!!

50 shells is a lot to carry around. I'm imagining the sheer weight of 2 boxes in my hands and that is a heavy load in the vest. But if he needs that many, so be it.

I'd venture to say that a lot of hunters don't go through 50 shells in a whole season while upland hunting. I know I don't.

Yes, there is a place that we killed chukar, quail and pheasant all in the same area. Most of the areas that have chukar also have quail but pheasants are a little closer to agriculture. We also have another spot where we have Huns, quail and pheasants all in the same spot.

Actually there are a couple of spots that you can expect to run into all three (chukar, quail and pheasants) during one hunt. A couple of times you get up a covey of birds that have a mix of species in it.

If anyone has never hunted good quail area, I highly suggest making a trip for them. It's honestly the most direct fun you can have with uplands. Just bring a lot of ammo.

Last edited:
40-50 years ago we'd see huns practically every time out after pheasants. It's been many years since I've seen one.

I've literally never even seen a Hungarian Partridge where I hunt in Minnesota, in 26 years of upland hunting there. And the daily bag limit is 5. I can't make any sense of it.

Rumor has it there are huns still in Minnesota. Been 20 or so years since I’ve last seen them.
I seen a covey in Martin County last year during pheasant season. First time I've ever seen them. I hope they make a comeback somehow. My hunting buddy seen them too, in the exact same wma. I'll have my eyes peeled for them next year.

Back