Should I feel bad cutting a stock?

BrownDogsCan2

Hey guys I’m on the fence about purchasing my first over and under.
I have been looking used and think I have found what I’m looking for. My semis I’ve either cut or swapped pads on. 14 3/16 seems to be about right for me. I’m 5-8
The gun I’m looking at is an alloy 61/2 lb 12 gauge. 14 1/2 lop. I’m afraid it’s going to beat the heck out of me if I don’t cut it down and add a better pad. It’s priced right for what is. I was expecting a few more scratches, it looks pretty good , I’m going to feel bad when I beat it up.IMG_3722.jpegIMG_0140.jpeg

If you are just hunting with it I don’t think it will bother you It will beat on you if you shoot a box or 2 on the range
I shoot a Citori 16 with a butt plate and don’t get beat up unless I take it to the range and shoot a box+

I'm currently looking at buying my first over under gun too. Have it down to 2 models just can't decide if I want to pull the trigger or not haha

If you are just hunting with it I don’t think it will bother you It will beat on you if you shoot a box or 2 on the range
I shoot a Citori 16 with a butt plate and don’t get beat up unless I take it to the range and shoot a box+
Thanks Citori

I got a 725 feather last summer and used it all season except one day of I remember correctly. I really like it. I opted for the longer barrels, 28 inches. I shoot lefty so it makes it hard to find the right gun.

If you dont mind spending some money, why not have a gunsmith cut it down and add a recoil pad to fit. Your lop seems fairly standard for a lot of people. I dont think it would hurt resale value.
Thanks Labradinger I’m sure that’s what I’d do. I kind of butchered a browning gold one time but have done a couple of berettas since and done an ok job. But I’m sure a gunsmith would do a much better job on the pad and really all the way around.

I got a 725 feather last summer and used it all season except one day of I remember correctly. I really like it. I opted for the longer barrels, 28 inches. I shoot lefty so it makes it hard to find the right gun.
How do you like your feather Bob? And how's it work for a lefty? (Fellow southpaw here) That's what I'm currently looking at in a 20 gauge with 28 inch barrels. Either that or a Feather Lighting in 20.

Thanks Labradinger I’m sure that’s what I’d do. I kind of butchered a browning gold one time but have done a couple of berettas since and done an ok job. But I’m sure a gunsmith would do a much better job on the pad and really all the way around.
I would say have a gunsmith do the work if you buy the gun. But I would also add, go shoot that baby on some clay targets before you get it cut. Maybe wear your pheasant hunting clothes and see how the gun feels. Then you can decide for sure what you want to do.

How do you like your feather Bob? And how's it work for a lefty? (Fellow southpaw here) That's what I'm currently looking at in a 20 gauge with 28 inch barrels. Either that or a Feather Lighting in 20.
Yeah I've really liked it so far. It is very handy to have a break action in the field. I'm always a stickler for open actions during a break in hunting, so that's really nice. If I stop to water the dog and need both hands I simply break the barrels and set it on the ground. When I hunt with a SA then I need to stovepipe a shell. It carries great and good balance. With the 725 action for whatever reason you've got the DS chokes, and for aftermarket there's not many options in flush mount(if any). I ordered some trulock extended although I'd have preferred flush if they made them. I've also got the factory chokes, so I'll pattern all them this summer and go from there. As far as the fit, and the stock, I'll say this, it's very hard to find a neutral stock on a double barrel shotgun. I've researched this EXTENSIVELY. Here's what I'll say, almost every common brand I looked at in person or read about has a stock that is somewhat cast off for a right handed shooter. Many people say brownings are neutral, I have found this to be absolutely untrue. I've got a csx and the 725. They both have a small amount of cast, especially in the toe of the stock. I can shoot the gun fine. The difference is if it were a beretta, rizzinni, weatherby, and on down the line there'd be a large amount of cast off in the entire buttstock and it would greatly affect how a lefty points the gun. For barrel length I would go 28" all day, I feel very strongly about that.

Attachments

• MMM05398.JPG
    MMM05398.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 15
Yeah I've really liked it so far. It is very handy to have a break action in the field. I'm always a stickler for open actions during a break in hunting, so that's really nice. If I stop to water the dog and need both hands I simply break the barrels and set it on the ground. When I hunt with a SA then I need to stovepipe a shell. It carries great and good balance. With the 725 action for whatever reason you've got the DS chokes, and for aftermarket there's not many options in flush mount(if any). I ordered some trulock extended although I'd have preferred flush if they made them. I've also got the factory chokes, so I'll pattern all them this summer and go from there. As far as the fit, and the stock, I'll say this, it's very hard to find a neutral stock on a double barrel shotgun. I've researched this EXTENSIVELY. Here's what I'll say, almost every common brand I looked at in person or read about has a stock that is somewhat cast off for a right handed shooter. Many people say brownings are neutral, I have found this to be absolutely untrue. I've got a csx and the 725. They both have a small amount of cast, especially in the toe of the stock. I can shoot the gun fine. The difference is if it were a beretta, rizzinni, weatherby, and on down the line there'd be a large amount of cast off in the entire buttstock and it would greatly affect how a lefty points the gun. For barrel length I would go 28" all day, I feel very strongly about that.
That gun has some nice grain to it for a grade 2/3 stock. You must have gotten lucky and got a grade 3. There's a gun shop in Western MN with a Citori Feather Lighting in 20 gauge, but a 26 inch barrel. If it was a 28 inch barrel I'd probably have taken off work today to make the 6 hour round trip and put it in the safe haha

For whatever reason the Feather Lightnings are tough to find around here. I like to handle and point a gun a few times before I buy one so buying one sight unseen is kind of out of the question for me. Especially since I've never used a lightning stock gun. I handled the 725 Feather 20 gauge at pheasant fest last weekend and absolutely loved it. Wish they had the lightning there too so I could compare.

Near total derailment of the thread, but if they ever come out with a lightning/round knob grip on a 725 action (especially the feather) it would be the best Citori Browning ever made.

Near total derailment of the thread, but if they ever come out with a lightning/round knob grip on a 725 action (especially the feather) it would be the best Citori Browning ever made.
That's basically what I'm trying to get haha the Citori Feather Lightning is pretty much a 725 (minor differences, inertia trigger instead of mechanical on the 725, and Invector Plus chokes instead of the DS on the 725, and equivalent barrels weigh 1 oz more than the 725).

One shop I called told me 8 months lead time from Browning. Another shop in SD had the Feather in 28 inch barrel listed on Gun Broker, called them and of course it's sold. Back on the hunt haha

Without hesitation, if that is gun that I wanted, I would have the stock cut and fitted with a 1" recoil pad to my length of pull.

There is nothing to feel bad about. If it is your gun, get it fit to you with a proper recoil pad.

Last edited:
I have been looking used and think I have found what I’m looking for. My semis I’ve either cut or swapped pads on. 14 3/16 seems to be about right for me. I’m 5-8
The gun I’m looking at is an alloy 61/2 lb 12 gauge. 14 1/2 lop. I’m afraid it’s going to beat the heck out of me if I don’t cut it down and add a better pad. It’s priced right for what is. I was expecting a few more scratches, it looks pretty good , I’m going to feel bad when I beat it up.View attachment 7766View attachment 7767

Youll be alright, unless there is a health issue regarding recoil sensitivity. Just purchase 1oz trap loads for practicing and shoot 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 pheasant loads in the field, avoid the super high velocity loads if possible. Dont let the thought of o/u being more recoil get in stuck your head

Youll feel the recoil at the range the first time, because you will be looking for it and concerned. Dont let it get in your head, i can assure you that you wont feel the recoil when your adrenaline is pumping in the field.

I shoot 6.5lb 20ga o/u with 3" mag 1 1/4 lead and have never had a recoil issue.

Its your gun so you can certainly cut it and modify it however you wish, shouldnt feel bad or care what someone else thinks. But my suggestion would be a quality limbsaver grind to fit pad and have a smith cut it down and fit the new pad with the stock jigs so it all aligns well.

The gun I’m looking at is an alloy 61/2 lb 12 gauge. 14 1/2 lop. I’m afraid it’s going to beat the heck out of me if I don’t cut it down and add a better pad. It’s priced right for what is. I was expecting a few more scratches, it looks pretty good , I’m going to feel bad when I beat it up.View attachment 7766View attachment 7767
What make and model is this shotgun?

I shoot a Beretta 686 Ultralight. 5.9 lb in 12 bore. I think that felt recoil will be much greater with that long barrel. Mine seems to kick much harder with the 28” barrels than the 24 inchers that I have. I am 5’ 6” on a really good day, and have short arms besides. I have to have all of my stocks cut by a buddy of mine & I have him make them into straight grip, (English style), stocks. And repadded. If you shoot better, why worry about resale? If you are that worried about resale, you can always buy another butt stock. Pretty wood on that one!

Back