2023/2024 Pheasant Hunting Videos

Here's my last hunting video of the year. It's been a great season for sure. It is two separate days in the Hawkeye state all public land. I didn't know if I should include the first day because I shoot a rooster at as short a range as I ever have. That got me worried the internet police would light me up with angry comments. I left it in, and the bird was in good shape as it was going away, only lost one thigh due to pellet damage. I'll put in 2 time stamps here of things of note. At the 9:35 mark I caught a bird on camera collide with a power line. It's a little grainy on the zoom but you can still see it happen. I looked for the bird on way out but could not find it! If it was a rooster I would have taken against my limit. If it was a hen I would have called warden and asked what to do. At 22 minute mark Skye gets on a runner in the grass. She zigs and zags and looks for the bird. After tracking a few minutes she hits the afterburners in a straight line right at the bird. I asked a forum question about this earlier, wondering if she catches sight of the bird, or maybe the rooster just ran straight away at this point and she can follow his scent that quick. If I could run as fast as Lucas maybe I woulda been able to take a long shot, but as it happened I couldn't keep up. At the end there's a short slide show of some pics over the years, about 2 minutes long. No grab ass and no rubes in this video. Sorry Goose.

I would say you did a pretty good chase considering it looked like you were wearing heavy rubber or muck boots. A nice lightweight hiking boot makes a better sprinting shoe! 😄 Looks like a fun hunt, it was fun to watch!

Here's my last hunting video of the year. It's been a great season for sure. It is two separate days in the Hawkeye state all public land. I didn't know if I should include the first day because I shoot a rooster at as short a range as I ever have. That got me worried the internet police would light me up with angry comments. I left it in, and the bird was in good shape as it was going away, only lost one thigh due to pellet damage. I'll put in 2 time stamps here of things of note. At the 9:35 mark I caught a bird on camera collide with a power line. It's a little grainy on the zoom but you can still see it happen. I looked for the bird on way out but could not find it! If it was a rooster I would have taken against my limit. If it was a hen I would have called warden and asked what to do. At 22 minute mark Skye gets on a runner in the grass. She zigs and zags and looks for the bird. After tracking a few minutes she hits the afterburners in a straight line right at the bird. I asked a forum question about this earlier, wondering if she catches sight of the bird, or maybe the rooster just ran straight away at this point and she can follow his scent that quick. If I could run as fast as Lucas maybe I woulda been able to take a long shot, but as it happened I couldn't keep up. At the end there's a short slide show of some pics over the years, about 2 minutes long. No grab ass and no rubes in this video. Sorry Goose.

Really good stuff, Bob!! That's the kind of pheasant hunting content I could watch non-stop. Skye was a genuine rockstar. That lighter grass is a bear to hunt, but the pheasants are in there and it takes skill and effort to get them in the vest.

And you shot a Kansas Blue Back!! :)

Great video, looks like some awesome hunting!

Super enjoyable video. I commented on your YouTube page. Skye was awesome. For what its worth, may none of us ever lose the "rush" of a rooster flushing at our feet and cackling. I look forward to more vids next season with Roxy and Skye.

Super enjoyable video. I commented on your YouTube page. Skye was awesome. For what its worth, may none of us ever lose the "rush" of a rooster flushing at our feet and cackling. I look forward to more vids next season with Roxy and Skye.
I wish I had her whistle sit trained like Islee(sp), but at this point Skye is 8 so I just hunt her and get plenty of exercise when both bird and dog are in a foot race on the prairie.

Bob, we can only dream of that many roosters on public land by us!
This comment stuck with me. Yes South Dakota is the 800 pound gorilla in the room when it comes to pheasant hunting, and we all love it for that, the best rooster hunting in the world. But Glock, don't sell MN too short here. I pulled out my pheasant journal, and on December 28th of 2020, I had a pheasant hunting experience that left me astonished and bewildered, right in dear old Martin county MN. I had been cruising around and hunted one spot at noon where there were boot tracks and we flushed a few hens. On my way to another spot, on a back gravel road, I suddenly saw a hen flush, and then another, from under a large tree. As I pulled up there were still two hens there, who only flushed after I stopped right by them for a minute or more. Off they flew into the cattails. I looked around and lo and behold it was a public hunting spot where they landed!!! New to me, but I parked, and off I went with Skye. Now this was a snowy year, so the walking was tough, I was breaking through the crust with every step. To be honest I was questioning what the hell I was doing as I trudged in there with icicles hanging off my beard while huffing and puffing through those deep drifts. Skye was doing better, but even she was breaking through every once in a while. Once we hit the cattails it was perfect. Not much snow IN them and easy walking. Tracks everywhere, Skye was working perfectly, a hunters dream! It wasn't long and birds were erupting from the marsh in such quick succession that I was dizzied looking at the flying pheasants in all directions! My gun was going up and down like a see-saw... hen, rooster(too far) hen, hen rooster! You get the point. I didn't know that many game birds lived in Martin county let alone a single small piece of public land! Skye did her part but I was as green as grass, not to mention not a little flustered by the constant explosion of hens and roosters in all directions. 2020 was the year I got my first bird, so all of it was so new to me; the shooting, watching the dog, etc. I wish I had that one on video just for the memory of it all. But that's why I keep a journal, and so glad I do. I wrote at one point, "it was a full on jail break!!!" Birds were boiling out of the cattails everywhere, I'll never forget it. Now, I just re-watched A5's video before I posted, and I'll say I didn't see as many birds that day as he did, but it was right there at about 90% of what he witnessed. Man I'm so grateful that pheasant hunting is what it is and that I get to participate. I will add that the only other time I saw a similar amount of birds was in the same "season" 1/25/21. I lucked into a covid furlough at work(aka hunting vacation) and here I'm quoting straight from the trusty journal, "Around 4pm I decided to check out the WIA just north of REDACTED and it was loaded. Birds were flying in, were on the fenceline, and were coming out of the picked corn on the NW side." There were birds everywhere, and yes this was in South Dakota. I guess the lesson here is you just got to go and hunt. Even on the days where I never pulled the trigger and only saw a few wild flushes in the distance, I never thought, I wish I woulda just stayed at home on the couch. I attached a picture of the tell tale hens in MN, and of what I saw in SD walking the edge of the marsh. Both of those hunts were far and away the most pheasants I've ever seen at one spot in my short hunting life. If anyone has a hotline number I can call, I'm all ears, because pheasant hunting has gotten in my blood and I'm so addicted that at this point I don't know what to do.

Attachments

• 20201228_151502.jpg
    20201228_151502.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210126_105103.jpg
    20210126_105103.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 14

those goldens kept you on the move. the older one has lots of drive left. great vid!

Great spot

Despite knowing the old adage - Be chary of giving advice , wise men don't need it , fools won't heed it - I believe you guys would enjoy hunting more if you trained steady to flush.

It is quite simple to do in the off season and is a great reason to get out with your bud. Steady to shot is also easy especially if you pigtail it too steady to flush.
Steady to fall is a personal preference which is harder to train but can have great rewards as far as one dogs safety is concerned.

Despite knowing the old adage - Be chary of giving advice , wise men don't need it , fools won't heed it - I believe you guys would enjoy hunting more if you trained steady to flush.

It is quite simple to do in the off season and is a great reason to get out with your bud. Steady to shot is also easy especially if you pigtail it too steady to flush.
Steady to fall is a personal preference which is harder to train but can have great rewards as far as one dogs safety is concerned.
I assume you mean teach a flushing dog to point...

I believe you guys would enjoy hunting more if you trained steady to flush.

I can say with 100% certainty, I would enjoy it a little less. I have a pretty strong preference that I feel suits my hunting almost perfectly. I may feel differently if my hunting involved more big flushes, larger groups of people, & novice hunters/shooters.

Last edited:
I can say with 100% certainty, I would enjoy it a little less. I have a pretty strong preference that I feel suits my hunting almost perfectly. I may feel differently if my hunting involved more big flushes, larger groups of people, & novice hunters/shooters.
I agree and add: When a bird flushes, especially out of a slough, I want the dog to be in hot pursuit. Obviously I don't want the dog chasing into the next county; usually the chase doesn't continue, if the bird continues flight. Frankly, of all the dogs I've hunted with (including my own 5) none have been steady to flush. I'm not sure where this tactic is practiced, but suspect it's during a field trial...

Back