dog vest

I’ve had a hard time finding a vest that won’t chafe my dogs too, gsp’s, especially in their armpits. Orvis sold one a long time ago that didn’t. It would only last a season or two but I didn’t care.
Mendota skid plate, Cuga, Sylmar, etc. all rub my dogs raw.
Any new ideas?

I’ve had a hard time finding a vest that won’t chafe my dogs too, gsp’s, especially in their armpits. Orvis sold one a long time ago that didn’t. It would only last a season or two but I didn’t care.
Mendota skid plate, Cuga, Sylmar, etc. all rub my dogs raw.
Any new ideas?
Even the narrow versions?

I like MoMarsh vests for waterfowl hunting as they can easily be adjusted to fit the dog.
For uplands, I do not run a vest.
My lab does gets cut up in the head quite a bit from hawthorns.
IMG_0019.JPG

Even the narrow versions?
I have a cheapie that I had altered to be narrow at the sternum. It works fairly well. He runs really hard and it still rubs him. I need something that is soft. I don’t really care if it doesn’t last only one season.

I just ordered a medium skid plate for puppy Tucker. He is thinner than Brady who wears a Large, and Parker used to wear an XL. I thought I remembered that in the past Mendota offered regular width and narrow but their website now lists just S, M, L, and XL and no width choices. I also picked up two orange T-shirts at the ARC store on Senior Tuesday for $3.25 total.

I've used these Sylmar dog vests for years. Excellent quality and provides some good protection.

What size are you getting for Britts? Mine is 40lbs on the button.

I picked up a medium this fall for my dogs. I have a male pointer about 55lbs and a female gsp about 45lbs. The medium seems big on the gsp. I think the small would fit your britt pretty well. They have a size chart on the site to measure. Hope this helps if Dakotazeb doesn't answer back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240121-131640.png
    Screenshot_20240121-131640.png
    172.4 KB · Views: 3
My current Brittany is 35 lbs and my previous Brittany was 40 lbs. A Medium fit them both very well. There is a fair amount of adjustment. You want it to fit fairly tight, you don't want it loose on the dog.

I use both a Sylmar and a Cuga. One of my GSP‘s has very fine hair and the buckles and straps that ride on the dogs back rubbed bare spots in his coat. I am able to use it on my other dog no problem. I use the Cuga on the fine coated dog with no issue. I prefer the fit of the Cuga and the fact that it protects the dogs back. My only wish is that Cuga would make the vest in more colors than orange and pink. I like having the two differ colors to distinguish my dogs apart at a distance in the field.
I have found that fitting the vest a little looser helps avoid the chaffing in their pits.

Once I quit putting vests on my GSP's due to chaffing they learned how to avoid tearing themselves up, except for their faces. We take a day off from hunting now and then to let the face heal up. No way around it.

I like MoMarsh vests for waterfowl hunting as they can easily be adjusted to fit the dog.
View attachment 4283
That pup needs RexSpecs.

My pup is running a Cuga vest and it works great. I had a Scheels vest, but it rubbed.

Attachments

• IMG_5490.jpeg
    IMG_5490.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
I've got the same issue. My dog is a small golden retriever with a narrow space between her front legs. The Cuga narrow version rubbed her armpits raw. I run a Mendota that works if I keep it tight. She hit a barb wire fence this year hidden in the weeds full speed on a retrieve. Had to have stitches on her belly and rear legs behind the skid plate. Took her out of commission for a week and $300+ vet bill. I dread to think what it would have been without the vest. Still looking for a better option.

View attachment 4283
that's a dog with no reverse gear

That pup needs RexSpecs.

My pup is running a Cuga vest and it works great. I had a Scheels vest, but it rubbed.
I too run the Rex Specs......once the dog gets used to them, just like with a vest or boots they don't even care they are on.
I have also coated my dog's nose, face area under the eyes and cheeks, armpits, bare belly area, and inside the rear flanks with Musher's Secret too.....it helps with the wear and tear from brush......especially on the nose.
I switched up vests late this fall and went with the Browning Skid Plate vest. I did use rubber wader cement to cover the stitching on the chest so it'll last longer. One encounter with a fence, it cut the skid plate but never made it through the backing fabric. Sealed that slice up with rubber cement too.

I use browning chest protector, and if the dog is going to be going through tall cover (blue stem or that triangle reed crap) i toss on a $7 amazon orange safety vest over the chest protector. I carry it rolled up in my vest, its about the size of my fist. It does surprisingly well to let the dog go through stuff without cutting up his back/flank and wont overheat the dog like a vest. Keeps briars and burs off too.

The second to last hunt of the year i heard the sound of the chest protector scraping something, i walked over where the dog ran and he took a bent up metal fence post straight to the chest. It cut the protector a little bit but some silicone sealant fixed that. Not a scratch on the dog. It looked like a tractor/mower probably ran over the old post and it was sticking up about a foot off the ground, pointy side up, bent in an L shape.

Chest protector is well worth the $20...

I had an old skid plate so I cut it and velcro’d it to a Lion Country vest. It covers farther back than the typical vest so it covers her entire belly, about 7-8 inches back from the normal vest. My pup has had a bad run this year getting cut so I wanted to give her all the protection I could. The Lion Country vest took a half speed shot to a barbed wire fence. Squared it up to the chest, didnt puncture her skin.

I too run the Rex Specs......once the dog gets used to them, just like with a vest or boots they don't even care they are on.
I have also coated my dog's nose, face area under the eyes and cheeks, armpits, bare belly area, and inside the rear flanks with Musher's Secret too.....it helps with the wear and tear from brush......especially on the nose.
I switched up vests late this fall and went with the Browning Skid Plate vest. I did use rubber wader cement to cover the stitching on the chest so it'll last longer. One encounter with a fence, it cut the skid plate but never made it through the backing fabric. Sealed that slice up with rubber cement too.
Musher's Secret is a MUST HAVE for every hunting dog owner.

I got him his Specs after his first big hunt in Kansas where I had to remove a seed from one eye and he scratched a cornea. These things are amazing. He doesn't have any issues wearing them. I just order extra lenses for multiple days afield. He even has a couple pair for sunny days and looking good out in the pool. LOL

Attachments

• Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 8
Back