How Cold Is To Cold?

chad.vis

Im sitting at home contemplating getting out there today but its currently -13* out there. Three days sitting in the house during season is driving me crazy. The dogs paws are driving them nuts though when I let them out so that probably answers that question. I know in my twenties I would be out there but curious if you all have ideas of whats too cold?

I posted that I hunted yesterday in about the same temp and for the 1st time ever my weim showed symptoms of it being too cold. Wind is supposed to be stronger today so I am probably not going out.

Our temps were not that cold over the weekend, but still extremely cold for Kansas. We had daytime "highs" in the single digits, with windchills between -15 and -25. My dogs spend very little time outside in general and vizslas have pretty short hair too. I really wanted to go, but I skipped.

Of course on both days we went outside for maybe 20-30 minutes to play a little fetch. Have to do something to burn off a little steam. They didn't seem bothered at all, but it wasn't that long. The heavy cover we typically hunt this time of year means the dogs stay out of the wind most of the time so I probably could have gone. They probably would have looked/acted cold getting started and getting back into the truck. Oh well.

2 weekends left for us and I'm planning on both days, both weekends. Hope the weather cooperates.

Right now where we hunt upland north of the border, the temp is -22F, wind chill is -52F. It will be tough on the little birds. They will need farm yards and spilled grain to survive. Maybe we need to teach them to migrate. 🙏

If you have a dog with a coat the cold can’t penetrate you can hunt

My dogs don’t, so I don’t ask them to, because I know they would go

You have to make decisions for your bird dog and avoid situations that can become dangerous for their well being.

The bird dog's drive is most often too strong for them to act rationally. As pack leader they will follow you lead.

Calm and 0F can be fine if you hunt for an hour or two at a time and the dog is brought out of the elements between hunts.

I have hunted in -10F (no wind) and dog did better than I did. Note that the ice stuck between the paw pads can drive them crazy.- 15F

Now days I limit my outing to about 10F -15F straight temperature and about 0F with windchill. For the reason above ... not fun. If I have to "bundle" another layer ... shooting gets a bit trickier and/or I over heat if I get into thick cover.

Simple "thin" balaclava and/or a neck guard are great when you are hunting cold weather.

You have to make decisions for your bird dog and avoid situations that can become dangerous for their well being.

The bird dog's drive is most often too strong for them to act rationally. As pack leader they will follow you lead.
That is so true. Cold as well as heat has to be considered. Most dogs will follow you to their death so as the pack leader you need to make wise decisions.

Consider the birds in cold weather. If you feel the need to shake them out of their bedding areas in the temps we have now, maybe try to do it early in the day, so they have a chance to get back to the cover and find a place to ride-out the night in. Really not the time of the year to hunt your golden hour.

The coldest I've hunted in was -6 F. We were at the hunting cabin and Skye was getting a little restless. I noted in my journal it was the first time ever bird hunting when my toes got cold. I wear uninsulated boots always. We did two walks at about 40 minutes a piece. I kept a close eye on the dog, she looked fine the entire time. Golden retriever. I managed 1 bird, and had another where my gun jammed, the worst! That's part of the reason I went to a stack barrel this year. Both spots in MN and not too far from a farm house. I would be a little hesitant to hunt extreme cold in really isolated areas. Best to be prepared with a change of clothes, propane heater, etc. Should you decide to go.

It’d be nice to have a bunch of little spots you could hop around on a day like that. I guess there’s road hunting.
Single digits are about as cold as I have ever hunted

Our group has hunted below zero, but just not fun like it should be. Usually Kansas in January was about perfect coming from NW WI. Ice fished and snowmobile at -20F almost every year. It takes the right gear. Plan on the worst and hope for the best.

Couldn't sit in the house any longer and had one I'll remember long past the last day. First bird poorly hit(I blame the gloves 😔) and the young dog did a textbook 100 yd retrieve. 2nd bird off nice double point and third, older dog wouldn't come off point so I released young dog and he dug out a very alive rooster. Only negative was they caught a fox with mange on way out and picking up nexgard at vet tomorrow just to be sure. Great day.

Attachments

• IMG_20240115_141521.jpg
    IMG_20240115_141521.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
Back