Pheasant Fact Friday - PF FB Repost

remy3424

webguy, if this is out-of-line, shoot me a note and delete.

Here is last Friday's Pheasants Forever "Pheasant Fact Friday", I will try to repost weekly from FB...or anyone else that thinks about it, go ahead and add to this thread, even old ones. They are usually interesting and often learn a little more about the birds. I learned from this one....
1.5.24 PF.jpg
If you are on FaceBook, you can "like" or "follow" Pheasants Forever to get this in your FB feed.

We just got hammered with snow, now ridiculous winds and sub zero temps, not getting above zero until Tuesday afternoon. Tough time to be a pheasant or anything living outside. You fellas north of here, it must be a real treat up there!
forecast.jpg

We just got hammered with snow, now ridiculous winds and sub zero temps, not getting above zero until Tuesday afternoon. Tough time to be a pheasant or anything living outside. You fellas north of here, it must be a real treat up there!
View attachment 7354
Pretty brutal no matter how you slice it..

On the optimistic side, the bird should have been plenty fat and healthy coming into this, and once we get past the next week, looks like we have several days above freezing to give them some relief. Rain in the forecast as well, hopefully maybe its warm enough for that rain to melt some of the snow and not make it too hard and crusty.. I think they could still be OK as long as this is the worst of it all. But maybe that is too optimistic.

Maybe I've missed something but I've never found anything near 13% of a pheasant's body weight to consist of fat. I will look carefully when I dress any I might get this month.

I had an older bird a few weeks ago that would guess made that percent, skinny birds will struggle sooner. I am not an expert at judging percentages of fat. Let us know how that goes.

I had an older bird a few weeks ago that would guess made that percent, skinny birds will struggle sooner. I am not an expert at judging percentages of fat. Let us know how that goes.
I got a couple bird yesterday that had the most fat that I’d ever seen on birds. One was even full of corn. The snow around is crazy deep too. They won’t have to worry about me anymore, deep snow sucks!

1712376012271.png
If I could find crushed limestone near me, I would buy a 1000 pounds to supplement the hens, just to make it easier for them.

Back