Flusher breeds

jmnhunter

We are probably within 2 years of getting another pup. I thought I was settled on another lab, but I am open to other ideas (and less shedding!). Mostly pheasant, with some grouse and some earlier season duck hunting.
Lately I have been looking at English Springers and English Cockers; but my only worry is that these breeds are going to be little rockets jumping all over our stuff in the house going 100mph.
Talked to one breeder that does cockers and he said early season ducks is doable but dont expect to bring it duck hunting in 30 degree weather

What are your experiences with these or others?

Only had one field springer spaniel over the years: Mick, the new, used, dog. Was an adult when I got him, is now a old adult.

Always had pointers (GWPs) prior, so it took some adjustments on my part, but I grew to love and cherish Mick. Only duck hunting I do is jump shooting along the crik below the house--most often for Woodies, but every now and then, some few transient Mallards. Pheasants are put out at a State Hunting ground, while most wild birds have retreated or been digested by predators other than human.

Mick is on the end of his inevitable departure, and I've been missing him in the field for the last few years.

What I won't miss is the shedding. But, since I'm old and long-since not married, I am not terribly upset by the hair. Now, if I were still going to offices in suits, the hair would be a nightmare to remove.

Have only seen Cockers work from a distance (a trainer I happened upon at a place in the Horicon Marsh system was working his dogs.) The ones I saw were phenomenal...but they were field trial candidates he trained for other folks. I know one of the more astute trainers of field springers on this site took on a cocker and ending up shipping the dog as unsuitable for his uses.

English cockers are said to be more somber, but I betcha puppies are puppies...so keep that early energy in mind. Welsh Springer spaniels are noted as being much more staid in demeanor. I have no personal experience.

My wirehairs shed as well, but I got them to make me laugh and to hunt with--both tasks they have invariably been successful at.

Maybe you can find some candidates from breeds which shed less, or little, but all dogs shed.

Best wishes. Keep up apprised of your search/journey. Most of the folks on this forum know much more than I do; maybe there's a secret breed.

:)

Last edited:
I've got a deposit down on a Boykin honestly don't know what to expect. If your hunting more grouse a Springer or a cocker might be the way to go. If more water or even pheasants am not sure which would be better or even a water spanial. The gal I am buying from said boykins work smarter not harder. I have run chessies my whole life . That's kind of how I've felt about them . I guess we will see. I know going in that the little dog isn't gonna have the stamina in heavy cover or cold water but going to give one a shot.

If you hunt pheasants and a little bit of grouse, you should end your search with a Springer. Period. Is mine high energy, yes. But she is 100% manageable in the house. If you want to eat dinner and then ride the couch unbothered until 11 pm, get a Clumber, Springers are not for you. They are wonderful hunting dogs and companions. Not kennel dogs either

Labs. 'Nuff said...

Check out Pine Shadows in Brainerd. I have 3 of their dogs and a puppy on the way. Mine really don't shed other than a month in the spring and a month in the fall. My lab sheds worse. The nice thing about the springers is that I buzz them when the shedding season starts and the problem is solved. You will not be disappointed in their upland abilities. They will not handle the cold of late season duck hunting though.

Check out Pine Shadows in Brainerd. I have 3 of their dogs and a puppy on the way. Mine really don't shed other than a month in the spring and a month in the fall. My lab sheds worse. The nice thing about the springers is that I buzz them when the shedding season starts and the problem is solved. You will not be disappointed in their upland abilities. They will not handle the cold of late season duck hunting though.
Have you tried one of those neoprene vests? I've put my Goldens in one and hunted them when the ice was forming on the outside of the vest. Personally I think Goldens are all you could ask for, but I will admit the shedding is rather epic in the spring.

Yes I have vests for them and the cold water is still too much for a springer later in the season. I would expect that a golden retriever can handle colder water than a springer.

Yes I have vests for them and the cold water is still too much for a springer later in the season. I would expect that a golden retriever can handle colder water than a springer.
Might have something to do with where I live too. Anything over the mid 50's is hard on my dogs. Still 3 foot of snow on my lawn.

Back