Safety etiquette question

SilverPigeon

Just started upland hunting and had a question. When the dog is on point, I’ve been leaving the safety on (on my O/U) until AFTER I pass the dog. Then I flick it off

However , I’m wondering if I should be leaving the safety on until the flush ?

Thank you

Last edited:
I always snick it off when mounting the gun for the shot. I also continually check it when walking and hunting to be sure it’s on. When starting out for the day I snick it off and on, different gloves, different gun, weather can all affect how the safety moves around. I’ve seen many a time and done it myself where the safety was on for a shot. Great for story time later. Gun going off when not supposed to is a nightmare to be avoided at all cost.

I slide it off as I am mounting it while the bird flushes. I also hunt behind a flusher. As others mentioned, I also "practice mounting/sighting/visioning shooting a bird" at the start of the day. Make sure gloves are gripping the gun, butt of gun isn't going to get stuck on my vest, remember how to site down the barrel. I don't know, things I've done thousands of times but for whatever reason I like to double check it all before the hunt. I also continually check the safety while hunting. I can recall one time I checked it and it was off. I have no clue how it got pushed off or for how long... kinda scared me though.

Agree with all above and one other thing that I do after a bird flushes is verity safeties are back on. Started doing that when guiding at the preserve and many times would hear the click after asking. Figure all it takes is one time and something really bad could happen. I also find myself checking my own safety multiple times a walk just to make sure all is good.

I check it regularly as my thumb webbing on my gloves tends to work the safety forward. I shoot a CZ O/U with a top safety and pistol grip. I dont know if its any different than other O/U’s or if its how I carry. But yeah safety is always on. Hell sometimes I dont get it off and watch the damn rooster flip me the bird as he flies to the next section.

I don't like hunting with people I don't know well and this question is one of the reasons why. There is absolutely NO reason to have the safety off unless in the motion of shooting at game, target.

Years ago I made plans to grouse hunt with a buddy. We meet at the appointed place and time, he's got 2 other guys with him, which wasn't part of the deal. One of them has a brand new gun case and gun, vest and hat. He's wearing cycle riding gloves and keeps smacking his fist into his palm saying "I can't wait to blast something today!". His muzzle constantly swinging around with no regard for where he was pointing it. I should have just left, but we went out hunting. While hunting in a line four abreast first he was straight behind me a lot, then he's walking out in front of me when I'd slow down to watch my dog work some cover. I told him about walking in line, etc., and in reply he said he didn't want to bust brush and there was a trail there. I called the dog, we did a right turn and I left them. Waiting back at the truck the other two come out to the road and walk over. I ask where them where their buddy was and they replied he'd been behind them a few minutes earlier. Just then a grouse flushes from the woods and a couple seconds behind the guy walks out. They ask him why he didn't shoot and his reply was that he saw the road, figured he wouldn't see anything and so turned on his safety. He'd been walking behind me and the other guys, careless with his gun and the safety off the entire time. Could have shot someone in the back. I told them I was done and left. Later I chewed out my buddy. Life's too short to go hunting with some careless greenhorn and get shot.

I primarily shoot an O/U these days. It's easy to catch the thumb safety while busting brush, etc., so I constantly check it to make sure it's on. This fall I took out my old trusty Rem 270 Wingmaster for old times sake. First bird went up and I don't even remember flicking off the safety. It's ingrained, a subconscious movement after years of repetition. I've had instances in the past where my fingers were so cold I couldn't feel them, but the safety came off as needed. Reflexive movement.

I advise you make having the safety on at all times an ingrained habit.

I slide it off as I am mounting it while the bird flushes. I also hunt behind a flusher. As others mentioned, I also "practice mounting/sighting/visioning shooting a bird" at the start of the day. Make sure gloves are gripping the gun, butt of gun isn't going to get stuck on my vest, remember how to site down the barrel. I don't know, things I've done thousands of times but for whatever reason I like to double check it all before the hunt. I also continually check the safety while hunting. I can recall one time I checked it and it was off. I have no clue how it got pushed off or for how long... kinda scared me though.
That is a good point, always check the safety while walking, or lying down.

I too always have the safety on. No need to switch it off until you move to mount the gun. One thing I learned here today is to practice in the morning with the gloves you are wearing that day! Good advise different gloves feel different on your safety. Sometimes I don't get the shot off when I want because I can't feel if the safety switched off or not. Great tip on how to train your memory with the new gloves or different gloves. I always tell guys no "chicken" (rooster) is worth someones life or eye or injury.

One thing I learned here today is to practice in the morning with the gloves you are wearing that day! Good advise different gloves feel different on your safety.

Not to distract from the safety aspect of this thread, but yes, this. Thanks to several of you for pointing it out!
In addition to the feel of the safety....not all trigger guards are created equal. For example, I cannot fit my cold-COLD-weather gloves in my Model 12 trigger. If you get new gloves or, even funner yet, a new shotgun....check this BEFORE you head out.

I always snick it off when mounting the gun for the shot. I also continually check it when walking and hunting to be sure it’s on. When starting out for the day I snick it off and on, different gloves, different gun, weather can all affect how the safety moves around. I’ve seen many a time and done it myself where the safety was on for a shot. Great for story time later. Gun going off when not supposed to is a nightmare to be avoided at all cost.

This! I’m always checking my safety

Back