Quail Habitat

dekuiper

Hi All,

I'm new to Missouri and quail hunting. I have been fortunate enough to pheasant hunt in South Dakota and grouse hunt in Michigan over the years though...

What is good quail habitat? How can it be identified. I have enjoyed some of the pictures posted which helps a little but I'm looking for friendly advice.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to MO dekuiper! I spend most my time chasing pheasant in MO, but for the first time since I've hunt MO I've spent a little more time looking for bobwhite quail. I'd say focus your time on edges of bean fields weather it's fence rows or woods. I tend to run into them in cover that is thicker on top, but they have a ability to run freely through it at the ground level (if that make sense). Very early or very late I'll find them in the middle of CRP fields, but again I'd say focus on woody areas near food plots or cover. I know there are more experienced hunters on here that can share their insight on hunting quail, but I hope this helps. Good luck!

Find crop fields that have weedy, lespedza or woody cover and there’s a good chance you’ll find quail. If any of the components above are missing your rate of sucess goes down quickly. If your hunting areas that have ground cover that’s mainly fescue you need to change locations. There’s not a abundance of quail in Missouri but there are pockets that are very good but are hard to find and are not numerous in my opinion. Good luck

Find crop fields that have weedy, lespedza or woody cover and there’s a good chance you’ll find quail. If any of the components above are missing your rate of sucess goes down quickly. If your hunting areas that have ground cover that’s mainly fescue you need to change locations. There’s not a abundance of quail in Missouri but there are pockets that are very good but are hard to find and are not numerous in my opinion. Good luck

+1. Really good advice. Heavy timber lined crop fields are not very productive either.

My best piece of advice is: You need an experienced dog to chase quail anymore. The days of "eventually I will walk some up" are over. I have taken several puppies out at a time just to run them. Found no birds. And they covered ground. Put the puppies away and ran the old dogs through the same cover and found 3 covies. So the experienced dog is a must. Pheasants will bust wild a lot more so you have a better chance at walking them up. Quail, you better have a decent dog.

Welcome from Joplin area! Where abouts are you from? We just started a quail forever chapter here in the area if you are interested in checking it out, might be able to answer a lot of your questions. Next meeting is June 6th at 6:30 in the USDA service center in Carthage. Or if you have anymore questions give me a call at 6202498951!

Carl Hutchison

https://www.dropbox.com/s/894ylojxkmand20/FB_IMG_1557595175182.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
Hi Carl,

Congratulation for getting this started! I'm in STL so likely will not be heading to Joplin for an afternoon meeting. :)

Hi Carl,

Congratulation for getting this started! I'm in STL so likely will not be heading to Joplin for an afternoon meeting. :)

Yeah probably a bit of a drive. I'm sure there's a local chapter up there by you too you can check out. It's a great organization!

Thank you for the invite, but I live just south of the Iowa state line in north Missouri. Thanks again !

I live in STL area as well and I am wanting to get back into quail hunting as well. I grew up in Nebraska so I have hunted pheasants and quail all my life and really miss it. I’m looking at maybe going out this coming weekend (youth rifle also so I may not). Is there any suggestions on where to go? I have a 2 year old GSP I need to get ready for SOuth Dakota in a few weeks.

Thanks

Most of the conservation areas have a few birds in early season, find the feed & weeds and find the birds.

Hey Goskers, I'm originally from Omaha and I lived in O'Fallon last year. I ran my dogs at Whiteside near Troy and there is some nice habitat. My setters pointed one small covey last fall. You might want to check out the Walk-In program that Missouri started last year....as there were several farms in North Central MO that opened access to public hunting.
The best quail numbers in MO will be in the northwest followed by north central. What breed of dog do you run? Go Big Red!

Bourbon, do you still live in the O’Fallon area? I live in Wentzville. I will have to check out the walk in program, do you find that on MDC webpage?
I have a GERMAN SHORTHAIR POINTER. She’ll be 3 in Dec

Went to Whiteside this afternoon. Didn’t get a bird up. Lots of great cover but nothing. Lots of deer signs so may have to test that out as well. Dog never got birdie.

Back