Hevi-Shot Hevi-Metal Pheasant Loads

pds794

Do any of you have any experience with the Hevi-Shot Hevi-Metal pheasant loads? Looking to find a good, non-toxic round. If not, other recommendations on non-toxics?

-Pete

I have used Hevi—Metal #3s in my 20 gauge and had real good luck with them , I like #4 Bismuth a little better , both are 3inch loads with 1ounce of shot out of 20 gauge

For about $1.25 per shell, the Kent Bismuth is hard to beat for a high-quality non-toxic load. I prefer it to any steel load, by a country mile.

Looks like I'll be trying Kent Bismuth next. I've got a 12 ga. OU. I'm leaning towards the 2 3/4" shells with 1 1/16 oz #5 shot. Might also get the 3" shells in the #5 for cold days.

The original HEVI-Shot recipe that was actually heavier/denser than lead was an awesome pheasant load. Used to shoot 2 3/4" #5's out of open chokes. Those loads patterned pretty well, had good pellet counts and hit like #4 lead. Yes they were expensive but produced very few cripples & runners.

At some point several years ago HEVI started marketing multiple options and basically resisted publishing density data. Many thought they were (less than ethically) trying to steer hunters towards the cheaper-to-produce less dense loads. I certainly think that is possible since with HEVI Metal they claimed those shells to be 50% steel pellets & 50% HEVI Shot when in fact the non-steel pellets in the HEVI Metal loads were 10gm/cc vs. the 12gm/cc that is the original HEVI Shot loads. I stopped buying HEVI products because the only shells I could find that I felt confident were the original 12gm/cc recipe were the 3" magnum waterfowl loads.

I like #2 Steel loads for pheasants but have also done OK with #3's. If you go Bismuth I would want to shoot #4's (bismuth is 9.6 gm/cc vs. lead at 11.1) but I think the Kent upland loads only come in #5 & #6 shot. Probably could find #4's in a waterfowl load. Bismuth is a must if you are shooting an older gun.

HEVI Shot now markets HEVI X that can be purchased in 2 3/4 #4 loads. They are still slippery about what the density is though and kind of indirectly claim it to be similar to bismuth.

Below is a lethality chart that Tom Roster publishes.....

https://gf.nd.gov/hunting/nontoxic-shot-lethality

Last edited:
If you do your part, you won't be disappointed with bismuth.
I was shooting good ol steel when we were together. . Remember in the first GPA the bird I hit and came down to 8 feet and then regained his composure and hit the jets and flew a 1/2 mile? I wonder if the results wouldve been different ...

A separate factor in considering heavishot for me is their merchandising techniques.

When I was a moderator here, we had frequent gratuitous mentions of the products. I investigated a bit and found that the manufacturer was encouraging folks to spam other sites with the name of their product. In return, those who did so were put into a pool and winners s were awarded some prize.

Tacky and somewhat duplicitous, in my opinion.

(I don't believe that is the case here, but I always read all posts referring to their product VERY carefully. We're not here to tout products trying to sneak in a mention.)

Have a great new year.:thumbsup:

You might look into Rogers Sporting Goods and the Federal Heavyweights, they have the 2 3/4 6's on sale. They aren't cheap, but they are 15 gm/cc and they are awesome on pheasant. I usually take 5-6 of these plus a few heavy metal 3's as backup if I need a few extra shells.

After doing more research on the matter I came across Boss Shotshells out of Michigan. While their branding is atrocious and website just as bad, the folks who use their stuff seem to love it. Mostly goose hunters from what I've found online, but seems like their stuff would be a great pheasant load too. They also don't publish any density numbers; I reached out to them today for density info. If you buy a case of 200 shells the price is cheaper than Kent Bismuth and there's free shipping. I'm sure HeviShot is "worth" it, but no matter how many times I run the numbers I just can't justify spending that much per shell. HeviMetal is appealing but I'm trying to avoid using steel if I can. I think Boss's 12 ga 3" 5s could be a great all purpose load for waterfowl, turkey, and pheasants. I'll planning to buy a box and do some extensive patterning and pellet counts.

After doing more research on the matter I came across Boss Shotshells out of Michigan. While their branding is atrocious and website just as bad, the folks who use their stuff seem to love it. Mostly goose hunters from what I've found online, but seems like their stuff would be a great pheasant load too. They also don't publish any density numbers; I reached out to them today for density info. If you buy a case of 200 shells the price is cheaper than Kent Bismuth and there's free shipping. I'm sure HeviShot is "worth" it, but no matter how many times I run the numbers I just can't justify spending that much per shell. HeviMetal is appealing but I'm trying to avoid using steel if I can. I think Boss's 12 ga 3" 5s could be a great all purpose load for waterfowl, turkey, and pheasants. I'll planning to buy a box and do some extensive patterning and pellet counts.

I saw where someone around here was killing geese at 40 yards with Boss 5s

I have been using Boss 5s in 20 ga on pheasants this year with good success, I don't hunt very much but I went 5 for 5 with those shells.

Buy the cheapest lead loads you can find, but make sure they are 1 1-4 oz. That will always work well.Never use game loads, except for huns.

I disagree Goosemaster. I buy the best shells that I can find. That is for both upland and waterfowl hunting
I am going with the Hevishot's new Upland shells. I have always found the Hevishot shells to be top
of the line

Agree with theuplandlife -- When I look at what I spend to chase pheasants, gas, motels, dog food, vet bills, shotguns, sporting clays, truck, etc., the cost of shells is not on the radar. Buy high quality shells from reputable manufacturers, the shells will perform better than I will.

Do any of you have any experience with the Hevi-Shot Hevi-Metal pheasant loads? Looking to find a good, non-toxic round. If not, other recommendations on non-toxics?

Shoot what you like, but I shoot steel when using nontoxic on pheasants. Steel shot lethality research conducted on pheasants by Tom Roster showed #2 steel to be more effective (at all ranges) than #6 or #4 steel. Yes, #4 and #6 steel loads will kill'em, but a little extra pellet energy is a good thing on wild pheasants where shots can get on the long side. The research also showed #2 steel resulted in fewer cripples than both #6 and #4 steel. And, Roster speculated that the #3 steel pellet would be a good compromise between pellet count and downrange energy.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers with the 12-gauge 2 3/4" steel load I use for pheasants to give you an idea of how #2 steel performs in my gun/chokes!

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" REMINGTON SPORTSMAN HI-SPEED STEEL LOAD
1 1/8 oz #2 steel (139 pellets) @ 1375 fps
30 YARDS – SK / pattern 116 (84%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 129 (93%)
40 YARDS – IC / pattern 111 (80%)
40 YARDS – M / pattern 114 (82%)
50 YARDS – IM / pattern 100 (72%)
50 YARDS – F / pattern 106 (76%)

Here are a few more of my pattern numbers to show the performance differences I found with my gun/choke between some of the low-cost steel loads and a couple Hevi products.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge 3-inch Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (pattern average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.)
Federal Speed-Shok 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (186 pellets) pattern 128 (69%)
Remington Sportsman 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (193 pellets) pattern 146 (76%)
Winchester Xpert 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (195 pellets) pattern 131 (67%)

Federal Speed-Shok 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (154 pellets) pattern 115 (75%)
Federal Black Cloud 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (144 pellets) pattern 92 (64%)
Hevi-Metal 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 / #5 (164 pellets) pattern 93 (58%)
HEVI-STEEL 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (148 pellets) pattern 100 (68%)
Kent Fasteel 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (155 pellets) pattern 103 (66%)
Remington Sportsman 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (152 pellets) pattern 110 (72%)
Winchester Xpert 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (146 pellets) pattern 106 (73%)

Good luck!

Agree with theuplandlife -- When I look at what I spend to chase pheasants, gas, motels, dog food, vet bills, shotguns, sporting clays, truck, etc., the cost of shells is not on the radar. Buy high quality shells from reputable manufacturers, the shells will perform better than I will.

I agree Dakota. Hevishot has a new upland Bismuth shell that I am going to use this FALL in the Dakotas. The higher quality shells
do perform better despite what some might have you believe

Back