Prarie Storm

George

Does anyone really use these? I fell for the marketing a few year back and bought a box for the season. First three shots I had issues. The shells failed to eject after firing so I could not cycle to the next shot, and every shell looked like it was barely opened once it was shot. Thought this was Federals premium shell, it seems every time attempt to switch to them something goes wrong. I was shooting 2 3/4 #5 lead out of my browning a-5. Would like to give them another try just because I like that each box has proceeds going to PF. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My group has used prairie storm for the last 3 years without any issues. I use a new a5. Very effective.

I use prairie storm in 20 & 12 and shoot #3 steel in both and have not had any issues in the last 2 years since making the switch to them.

I have used 2 3/4 20ga #5shot , it patterns plenty tight , I use it in the Mod choke of my SxS ,my go to load kent fast lead 20ga #5

Hmm must've had a bad box. Took the gun in to a gunsmith right after and was told that everything looked good. It's a real A-5 Belgium made from the 50's with a polychoke.

Not firing: firing pin issues?

Not cycling: Magazine spring, friction piece not arranged properly, action spring old.

I would take it to another gunsmith - second opinion and have him fire the gun, not just inspect.

Shell barely opened?? Can you elaborate on this?

Used them 3 years ago in Kansas. Shot extremely tight out of my gun. Group of three of us had more wounded / lost birds than usual.

I tried a box and had poor luck with it as well. I patterned the last few shells. The only pattern that opened up even a little from it was imp. cyl. It may have been good for long range. Cylinder choke got tighter in my gun.

The shells worked ok but are super super tight. I patterned them from a skeet choked barrel on an old Remington 1100 at 30 yards. The pattern looked like a full choke plus. So, I would only use them if I needed the range, maybe in late season. They are a nice option if you need to tighten up a open choke. BTW, Black Cloud Steel pattern the same way.

MG

Hmm must've had a bad box. Took the gun in to a gunsmith right after and was told that everything looked good. It's a real A-5 Belgium made from the 50's with a polychoke.

So George, have you shot other brands of ammo without this problem?

I suppose using Prairie Storm sometime after the first shell (starting with the 2nd or 3rd shell) in a single-barrel gun would be like having 2 different chokes.

Birdshooter yea I’ve shot other brands mostly Winchester and Remington loads just seem to have bad luck with Federals

Prairie Storm cartridges are like many other marketing gimmicks. They do not have to work, they only have to sell.

Several years ago, I was in Gallanson's Gun Shop in Salt Lake City. They were selling the wads that are used in Federal's Black Cloud and Prairie Storm shells.

I then did some extensive reloading and experimenting with these. I determined a couple of things. First, I could duplicate the patterning of these loads by proper choke selection. Second, these wads are very susceptible to the effects of wind. Any crosswind of 10 mph or greater moved the shot charge in a downwind direction considerably (greater than a conventional wad).

I kept 25 of the wads and traded off the rest to a guy in Texas who wanted to develop a long range Sandhill Crane load.

Killing pheasants does not require magic chokes or magic wads or square or Saturn shaped shot.

I shot them out of a Browning Citori Feather 12 Gauge and they are extremely dirty. After shooting three or four shells, my action would not completely close and I didn't notice until a bird flushed. I ended up having to clean the face of the action very well to get my gun to function.

They hit very hard but after that I won't be wasting money on them again.

My group started using them in SD when they first came out in 12 and 20.
They are to kick ass for grouse and woodcock.I use them strictly for pheasant mostly 20 gauge one ounce. I have shot hundreds of shells over the years and my opinion is that they are very very good shells.
.Ive also shot Kent,fiocchi golden pheasant reming Winchester etc.etc.
The original question was not comparing prairie storm with others so I won't comment that way but I can attest to them really smacking the birds.I use a Belgium a5 in a 20.make sure your springs and braking system are set up properly.If you haven't change your action spring in the last 20 yrs or so may I suggest you spend the 10 bucks and replace it.

I like them. Particularly for less than 10 bucks a box. Walmart sells them for 14.97 a box. Federal offers a five dollar a box rebate every year when you buy a case...split cases qualify.

Back