SD crop report 7/22

Hockeybob

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 2 percent very poor, 4 poor, 23 fair, 52 good, and 19 excellent. Corn silking was 76 percent, well ahead of 41 last year and 47 for the five-year average. Dough was 10 percent, ahead of 1 last year and 2 average.

Corn 🌽 May come out early this year. Silking 76% vs 41% last year.

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 2 percent very poor, 4 poor, 23 fair, 52 good, and 19 excellent. Corn silking was 76 percent, well ahead of 41 last year and 47 for the five-year average. Dough was 10 percent, ahead of 1 last year and 2 average.

Corn 🌽 May come out early this year. Silking 76% vs 41% last year.

July 29 Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 2 percent very poor, 4 poor, 19 fair, 53 good, and 22 excellent. Corn silking was 92 percent, ahead of 75 both last year and for the five-year average. Dough was 34 percent, well ahead of 9 both last year and average. Dented was
2 percent.
Corn is way ahead of schedule as of now. I’ll update each week.

July 29 Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 2 percent very poor, 4 poor, 19 fair, 53 good, and 22 excellent. Corn silking was 92 percent, ahead of 75 both last year and for the five-year average. Dough was 34 percent, well ahead of 9 both last year and average. Dented was
2 percent.
Corn is way ahead of schedule as of now. I’ll update each week.

Thanks Hockeybob - appreciate you posting these reports!

Thanks Hockeybob - appreciate you posting these reports!

Week Ending 8/5

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 2 percent very poor, 5 poor, 23 fair, 54 good, and 16 excellent. Corn silking was 96 percent, ahead of 90 both last year and for the five-year average. Dough was 53 percent, well ahead of 29 last year and 27 average. Dented was
4 percent, near 1 both last year and average.
Soybean condition rated 2 percent very poor, 8 poor, 25 fair, 52 good, and 13 excellent. Soybeans blooming was 90 percent, equal to both last year and average. Setting pods was 69 percent, ahead of 61 last year and 58 average.

Week Ending 8/5

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 2 percent very poor, 5 poor, 23 fair, 54 good, and 16 excellent. Corn silking was 96 percent, ahead of 90 both last year and for the five-year average. Dough was 53 percent, well ahead of 29 last year and 27 average. Dented was
4 percent, near 1 both last year and average.
Soybean condition rated 2 percent very poor, 8 poor, 25 fair, 52 good, and 13 excellent. Soybeans blooming was 90 percent, equal to both last year and average. Setting pods was 69 percent, ahead of 61 last year and 58 average.

Week ending 8/12

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 2 percent very poor, 5 poor, 24 fair, 51 good, and 18 excellent. Corn dough was 72 percent, well ahead of 43 last year and 47 for the five-year average. Dented was 11 percent, ahead of 4 last year and 3 average.
Soybean condition rated 3 percent very poor, 6 poor, 25 fair, 52 good, and 14 excellent. Soybeans blooming was 97 percent, near 95 last year and 94 average. Setting pods was 81 percent, near 79 last year, and ahead of 73 average.

Might be a dumb question, but I've got to ask....

Here in Indiana, farmers rotate crops from corn to soybeans nearly every year. Do the farmers in South Dakota do that? Reason I'm asking is because I was there last year for the first time and saw predominately corn. Wondering if the fields I hunted near will be soybeans? Or can I count on seeing corn again?

Might be a dumb question, but I've got to ask....

Here in Indiana, farmers rotate crops from corn to soybeans nearly every year. Do the farmers in South Dakota do that? Reason I'm asking is because I was there last year for the first time and saw predominately corn. Wondering if the fields I hunted near will be soybeans? Or can I count on seeing corn again?

There is a corn bean rotation and also wheat on some acres.

Week Ending 8/19

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 4 percent very poor, 8 poor, 23 fair, 47 good, and
18 excellent. Corn dough was 88 percent, well ahead of 62 last year, and ahead of 69 for the five- year average. Dented was 38 percent, well ahead of 12 both last year and average.
Soybean condition rated 5 percent very poor, 8 poor, 27 fair, 46 good, and 14 excellent. Soybeans setting pods was 91 percent, near 88 last year, and ahead of 85 average. Dropping leaves was 7 percent, ahead of 2 both last year and average.

Week Ending 8/19

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 4 percent very poor, 8 poor, 23 fair, 47 good, and
18 excellent. Corn dough was 88 percent, well ahead of 62 last year, and ahead of 69 for the five- year average. Dented was 38 percent, well ahead of 12 both last year and average.
Soybean condition rated 5 percent very poor, 8 poor, 27 fair, 46 good, and 14 excellent. Soybeans setting pods was 91 percent, near 88 last year, and ahead of 85 average. Dropping leaves was 7 percent, ahead of 2 both last year and average.

Week Ending 8/26

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 5 percent very poor, 9 poor, 22 fair, 46 good, and
18 excellent. Corn dough was 94 percent, ahead of 77 last year and 83 for the five-year average. Dented was 56 percent, well ahead of 22 last year and 28 average. Mature was 3 percent, near
1 average.
Soybean condition rated 6 percent very poor, 9 poor, 26 fair, 45 good, and 14 excellent. Soybeans setting pods was 97 percent, near 93 both last year and average. Dropping leaves was 16 percent, ahead of 5 last year and 6 average.

Farmers are gonna start on beans in about 10 days if rain holds off.

Week Ending 9/2

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 6 percent very poor, 8 poor, 21 fair, 45 good, and
20 excellent. Corn dough was 98 percent, ahead of 88 last year and 91 for the five-year average. Dented was 73 percent, well ahead of 40 last year and 50 average. Mature was 14 percent, ahead of 1 last year and 4 average.
Soybean condition rated 9 percent very poor, 11 poor, 23 fair, 43 good, and 14 excellent. Soybeans dropping leaves was 25 percent, ahead of 15 last year and 16 average.

Last edited:
Week Ending 9/2

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 6 percent very poor, 8 poor, 21 fair, 45 good, and
20 excellent. Corn dough was 98 percent, ahead of 88 last year and 91 for the five-year average. Dented was 73 percent, well ahead of 40 last year and 50 average. Mature was 14 percent, ahead of 1 last year and 4 average.
Soybean condition rated 9 percent very poor, 11 poor, 23 fair, 43 good, and 14 excellent. Soybeans dropping leaves was 25 percent, ahead of 15 last year and 16 average.

Thanks Bob...appreciate your weekly reports!

Week Ending 8/26

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 5 percent very poor, 9 poor, 22 fair, 46 good, and
18 excellent. Corn dough was 94 percent, ahead of 77 last year and 83 for the five-year average. Dented was 56 percent, well ahead of 22 last year and 28 average. Mature was 3 percent, near
1 average.
Soybean condition rated 6 percent very poor, 9 poor, 26 fair, 45 good, and 14 excellent. Soybeans setting pods was 97 percent, near 93 both last year and average. Dropping leaves was 16 percent, ahead of 5 last year and 6 average.

Week Ending 9/11

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 6 percent very poor, 10 poor, 20 fair, 44 good, and 20 excellent. Corn dented was 90 percent, well ahead of 58 last year and 69 for the five-year average. Mature was 29 percent, well ahead of 4 last year, and ahead of 10 average.
Soybean condition rated 7 percent very poor, 10 poor, 24 fair, 46 good, and 13 excellent. Soybeans dropping leaves was 45 percent, well ahead of 25 last year, and ahead of 31 average. Harvested was 1 percent.

Week Ending 9/11

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 6 percent very poor, 10 poor, 20 fair, 44 good, and 20 excellent. Corn dented was 90 percent, well ahead of 58 last year and 69 for the five-year average. Mature was 29 percent, well ahead of 4 last year, and ahead of 10 average.
Soybean condition rated 7 percent very poor, 10 poor, 24 fair, 46 good, and 13 excellent. Soybeans dropping leaves was 45 percent, well ahead of 25 last year, and ahead of 31 average. Harvested was 1 percent.

thanks for posting these reports, Bob.

Soybeans are starting be harvested in NE South Dakota, lots of fields are just now turning yellow but the ones planted early are being harvested. Silage is almost complete and some corn is being harvested in the Doland area. I would guess that corn harvest will be ahead of normal, with more corn harvested prior to Opening Day than normal. Canadian Geese are easy pickings at this time if you have access to wheat fields especially the ones that got planted with cover crops... SDViking

Soybeans are starting be harvested in NE South Dakota, lots of fields are just now turning yellow but the ones planted early are being harvested. Silage is almost complete and some corn is being harvested in the Doland area. I would guess that corn harvest will be ahead of normal, with more corn harvested prior to Opening Day than normal. Canadian Geese are easy pickings at this time if you have access to wheat fields especially the ones that got planted with cover crops... SDViking

Crop Report Week Ending 9/16
Corn condition rated 7 percent very poor, 9 poor, 21 fair, 44 good, and 19 excellent. Corn dented was 95 percent, well ahead of 75 last year, and ahead of 83 for the five-year average. Mature was 44 percent, well ahead of 13 last year and 23 average. Harvested was 2 percent, near 1 average.
Soybean condition rated 8 percent very poor, 9 poor, 23 fair, 44 good, and 16 excellent. Soybeans dropping leaves was 68 percent, well ahead of 46 last year, and ahead of 51 average. Harvested was 6 percent, ahead of 1 average.

A little over three inches of rain has fallen in NE South Dakota over the past 4 days. Sunny weekend forecast then chance of rain early next week. Harvest has stopped for a little while. The good news is that the grass has greened up nicely and the sloughs are a little wet. SDViking

Back